350 CHEVY MOTOR in my 49 Chevy?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need to install different motor mounts, a tail shaft cross member and cut a hole in the floor for the shifter.
Then change your electric system over to 12 volts.
All the light bulbs will need to be switched out for 12 volt ones too.
On the gauges, the oil, amps and water temp will work.
The fuel gauge is 6 volts I don't know if just a 12 to 6 volt resister will work or not. Someone else chime in here.
The speedometer is cable driven and the tranny has a tone ring and sensor so, you may have to run an after market speedometer.

Last edited:
if you search around, someone might already make the mounts you need for that swap people have been putting 350s into everything for ever... cheap easy go fast, and tons of aftermarket support.

Anything 6v you would be able to use a kit to voltage down from 12V. (Speedway motors sells a bunch of stuff for this for instance)
Now, the speedo if the 5 speed has a gear driven sensor, I'm sure someone makes a conversion or a stock part to go to a mechanical style gauge. If it a hall effect style magnetic sensor you may have more trouble going from that to a mechanical speedo.

You may have to use a 93 up S10 tail shaft housing

url
PB170005.jpg

file.php

Didn't the 49 styline have an enclosed drive shaft? If so you will also need the chage the rear axle to open drive for the 5 speed

Yeah you'll need a drive shaft and diff. Usually I grab them outta 4x4 s10s as there the right width.

Latest posts

Back