37 gmc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoodfreak

Well I thought I 'd start a build thread on my truck project. I picked this GMC up in June and started working on it pretty much right away. The door latches were all gummed up and didn't work, the doors inter-structures were rotten I replaced all that stuff. I fixed the hood-pretty much did all this before I joined this site-so I didn't take any pictures. Really wasn't that big of a deal any way-small stuff. Here's some pix of what I started with. This will be my first rat truck-I usually do bikes. I plan on doing 4-6 inch chop,running the fenders, and putting a v-8 in her.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 63
I did make some rocker panels for it-at least I guess that's what they are called. The drivers side was completely gone and there wasn't much left of the passengers side-I still have a little to put at the ends but I'll wait till I intall the floor to mess with that.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 59
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 68
As some of you may have seen I did start on the radiator/grill. I've been working on adding more to it. I finally got the cab off the frame and into my shop- but I don't really have the time or room to work on the cab yet-I've got a couple old shovelheads I'm working on for budddies. Heres some pix of the grill.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 40
Here's the latest work I did on the grill-it's going to be the hood ornament.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 63
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 64
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 67
And this is where it's at now. Setting the paint on fire gives it the old bone look. It looks better in person than it does in the pix-my camera sucks. Another advantage to setting it a blaze is the paint becomes almost impossible to chip,flake or even remove if you wanted to. Gonna start working on the neck bone next.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 69
Nice lookin truck [cl!! I'll send u some SPF/50 for ur buddy there ..:D at first glance I thought it was Richard Pryor:D

Way cool. What's the plan with the flatdeck? Staying, going?

I think that thing would look killer with a re-done flatdeck, hauling all your bikes around on...

:D

Thanks for the compliments guys. What do you guys think about putting this body down on a s10 frame? Is that taboo? I know it's fairly easy to do with the late 40's early 50's can it be done with this 37? If I weren't going to run the fenders i would diffently build my own frame or modify the original. I want it to be a decent driver-the roads around here are rough-very rough.

And this is where it's at now. Setting the paint on fire gives it the old bone look. It looks better in person than it does in the pix-my camera sucks. Another advantage to setting it a blaze is the paint becomes almost impossible to chip,flake or even remove if you wanted to. Gonna start working on the neck bone next.

The grill is as awesome as the skull, man that thing is straight badarse.[dr

Didn't get a lot done over the weekend, I'm sick of working on this shovelhead-it sat for 15 years-so I get one thing fixed and find three more things that need attention. Anyway I did get the neck bone done. As soon as I get this bike out of here I can start on the cab!

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 51
Finally got a chance to start working on the truck again. I'm having a problem getting the drivers side door to line up right. The passengers side is fine. The floor pan is rusted completly apart on the drivers side so I think I may have tweaked it when I took it off the frame. I know I should have welded in some braces but that really wasn't possible due to the location. I've tried ratchet straps but I still can't get the dootr to pull up any more-you can see it creased the window frame some. The door will open and shut okay. I plan on chopping the top so do you think its worth messing with-do you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 33
I had some issues with mine too, I ended up using ratchet straps to get everything back square, and the doors lined up. You have the doors, so work back to the door and then brace the cab until you get the floor back in and done...

I had some issues with mine too, I ended up using ratchet straps to get everything back square, and the doors lined up. You have the doors, so work back to the door and then brace the cab until you get the floor back in and done...

Thanks, I was kinda thinking along those lines, I can get the bottom part of the door opening looking good-then when I mess with the top everything moves again.

If you put a pelvis and thigh bones on. Angle the thigh bone up and back against the outside of the grille surround, you could use the end of the thigh where the knee would be, for headlight mounts [ddd

If you put a pelvis and thigh bones on. Angle the thigh bone up and back against the outside of the grille surround, you could use the end of the thigh where the knee would be, for headlight mounts [ddd

That's a very cool idea! I'm gonna play around with some more "bones" when I get the rest of the stuff back together.

S10 will work fine.Thats the way I would go.

I think the S-10 is wide in the wrong spots for the 37 cab. I got it to work on my '46 GMC with some minor notching on the back of the front fenders, and now with the running boards mounted you can't even notice. You would have to see the cab and front fenders on the S-10 frame to know if it will work, but my issue was on the bottom corners of the cowl right in front of the doors. The S-10 frame comes out in this area in the exact spot where the cab is at its narrowest. Good luck if you're still planning on this route!

Latest posts

Back