37 IH

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're off to a great start. I love those old Binders.

I had the same problem with my spindle/rotor adaptors. I finally just lubed up the spindles with anti-seize got the adaptors hot and used the press on them.

Thanks for the positive comments.

I am starting to play around with the numbers for the triangulated four link I am going to run in the rear.

I have been busy and have not made much progress of late. But I put the engine roughly into place and figured out what I wanted the height to be relative to the frame.

engine014.jpg

Then I started to work on making some motor mounts.

engine015.jpg

engine016.jpg

The guy that I bought it from had bought three of them and then built a full fendered street rod out of the good parts. As I understand it, I bought the leftovers.

That's some pretty cool left overs. I'd take those any day! Very nice work so far and please keep posting photos.

ISore

Nice build, cool choice of truck and great craftmanship. Winning combo.
We'll be watching for sure. Thanks for the pics.

Nice build, cool choice of truck and great craftmanship. Winning combo.
We'll be watching for sure. Thanks for the pics.

Thanks.

Yesterday I finally got around to welding the motor mounts in. I also finished about 3/4 of the tranny crossmember.

Well I was fooling around in the garage this morning, trying to figure out where and how to mount the hairpins to the frame, and I realized that I need to shorten the hairpins by about 4 inches.

The reason for this is the width of the opening of the firewall. I really don't want to mess with the opening at the bottom of my firewall and I had designed the frame to fit it without leaving much room. Now it appears that the hairpins are going to force me to modify the firewall by widening the opening at the bottom. This causes me to lose a nice reveal and I would rather avoid loosing it.

The root cause of this is that when I was designing my frame I wanted to run the hood that I have. I also did not want to push the axle out in front of the grill. But now I have come to realize that at some point down the road (hopefully shortly) I will not need the hood.

So the options that I came up with to fix this are to cut the frame behind the front crossmember and and a few inches. Go spring behind the axle. And shorten the hairpins.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I don't really want to shorten the hairpins. They are 28 inches long to begin with and I think 24 or so would be rather short and might look weird and effect ride.

Well I finally got around to cutting down the hairpins and installing them.

I have roughed out my four link for the rear and started designing brackets.

3.jpg

I have been pretty busy but I have done a little bit of work on my truck.

truck006.jpg

I had a friend cut some brackets for my rear axle.

truck010.jpg

This is an upper coilover mount. It is in single shear, but it is the cleanest looking that I could think of at the time.

truck012.jpg

I found a little problem when I pulled the 3rd member. And after dancing around the issue for a while a found a strange nodular iron complete third member that I dropped in. It should be interesting at stop lights with the 4.56 ratio it has.

truck016.jpg

Finally I have a rolling chassis. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back