37 Inernational Rat Rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmmetalfab

I purchased this cobbed half ass truck on Ebay, thinking it was nicer than it was. After driving 300+ miles one way to pick it up, seeing it for the first time I was to say the least....disappointed. Having come that far, and feeling resentment from seller that I wanted to back out... back to MA with the truck I went.

Attachments

• cover 4.jpg
    cover 4.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 160
  • cover 3.jpg
    cover 3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 186
  • cover 2.jpg
    cover 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 140
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 140
Disassembly

After the truck sat for while, my girlfriend (also a welder) expressed interest in wanting to build a rat rod of her own. She has never built one before and needs instruction and guidance. Together we started assessing what to save and what to fabricate ourselves. Taking the truck apart, we realized we have more work cut out for us than expected.

Attachments

• dis 1.jpg
    dis 1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 103
  • dis 3.jpg
    dis 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 110
  • dis 4.jpg
    dis 4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 101
  • dis 2.jpg
    dis 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 104
  • dis 6.jpg
    dis 6.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 93
  • dis 5.jpg
    dis 5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 100
Custom Frame Build

Initially we were going to use the dodge frame it was sitting on until we got a better look at it. New plan was to use an S10 frame that we already had. After discussion, we thought that using the S10 frame was to bulky and we wanted more of a custom look. So we decided on fabricating our own custom frame with S10 components.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Motor Choice

I bought the truck with a 4 cylinder motor in it. Knowing we wanted something better, are options on the table were, a new GM 5.3 or a 1953 Cadillac 331 from another project. We decided on the simpler Cadillac motor.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 80
  • motor 1.jpg
    motor 1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 82
  • motor 3.jpg
    motor 3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 77
  • motor 2.jpg
    motor 2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 80
Welcome to RRR.

Among other things, I've considered adapting S10 suspension to my '38 Chevy frame... so I'll be watching your build with keen interest. Nice fab work btw!

ideas

Thanks everyone!
The bed sides may be original? The rear fenders are 50's F-100. We picked up some 50's chevy bedsides and fenders. There shape seems to fit the truck better, we will shorten the bed to about 5 feet.
The nose may get stretched a few inches and the cab was chopped already. (may need to revisit that). I cut the cab rockers 5 inches and will section another 5 inches. I want a really low look. I still have a couple inches of headroom too.

Thanks everyone!
The bed sides may be original? The rear fenders are 50's F-100. We picked up some 50's chevy bedsides and fenders. There shape seems to fit the truck better, we will shorten the bed to about 5 feet.
The nose may get stretched a few inches and the cab was chopped already. (may need to revisit that). I cut the cab rockers 5 inches and will section another 5 inches. I want a really low look. I still have a couple inches of headroom too.

Just thought I would let you know that those aren't the original international bedsides. The international bedsides had ribs in them. Not sure what that's off of. Keep up the good work, it's going to look awesome!

just a mock up

So the frame is tacked together good enough to set on the floor with engine in place. I set the cab over the frame to see how it looks and make more decisions. The more I work on this cab the more I think I should find another one. Well see.
More parts are in so I can build the A arms and get it sitting on wheels. The steering will be a trick clearing the fenders. I was thinking rack/pinion but not sure will be that easy to get right and still have any turning radius.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 98
A arms

Not much progress to warrant pictures. Working on the A arms, machining the sleeves to hold stock rubber bushings. The A arms will be tubular and about 2" longer than stock.
Here is a picture of the 50 Chevy rear fenders sitting on the floor. They are perfect. I am thinking a speedster look, maybe use a hood and blend it into the fenders?

Attachments

• rich 12.jpg
    rich 12.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 73
I don't see anything wrong with that cab, many of us have started with much worse condition cabs... I like the mock up, going to look pretty cool with the huge fenders!

That will be one mean looking hot rod. Cabs like that up here are few and far between and $$$$$$$$$. Take it to the limit. Kudos to you and your girl. I'll be watching too.

Latest posts

Back