38 axle and 48 rotors?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawksrusty27t

ok,Im trying to put 48?hubs (rotors) and backing plates on my 38 axle,but the hydraulic backing plates have the semi square hole to fit the spindle and the 38 is round,also the king pins sizes are different so I cant just swap entire assemblies,what do I do?My thought is reuse the 38 spindles,make the round hole match by grinding the round hole to semi square,wich would then match the 48 hydraulic set up 38 backing then get the right bearing,(if anyone knows the part #)you tell me?
thanks
Hawk

'48 passenger car backing plates will bolt onto the '38 spindles with no problems. The hub bearings are also the same. If you have the '48 spindles you can also use them on your '38 axle. The kingpins are different lengths but the same diameter. Simply use the proper kingpin for your spindle of choice. Whichever spindle you wind up using be sure to install new kingpins and bushings.

38 axle,48 spindles

ok then the issue must be ,I think my 48 parts are from a truck because it was a parallel leaf spring axle and the king pins are deffinately different diameters....so whats the fix?can I make the 48 backing plate match the 38 spindle and of so is there a rear bearing made for the 48 hub ti fit my 38 spindle?or is it a ghost hunt and be easier just to buy a disc brake kit?
thanks

What you have are F-1 brakes then. Yes, they will work with the '38 spindle. You will have to grind the spindle to fit and change the bearings. It is a common swap. You can also use the F-1 spindles on the '38 axle if you are doing a traditional style steering setup. Disc brakes are a easier/cheaper option, but they are not as aesthetically pleasing. However I did see in another post that you wanted to run early wires - they will not work with the F-1 drums and backing plates or the discs. They need a early Ford passenger car drum to seat properly. Just a heads up...

early ford car drums

this whole mess started because I wanted to run hydraulic brakes on front,but are there certain years and models of early ford cars I should look for to get the hydraulic brakes I want to fit my spindles and be able to run early wire wheels?I appreciate all your help no one around here seems to be into this stuff,I still might sale you those spindles once I get the fron end back together and figure out what Im going to run
Hawk

You can use '39-'48 passenger car and '39-'47 truck hydraulic brakes on your '38 spindles with no modifications whatsoever. All of these will also accept early Ford wires. The only thing required is a support ring which helps the wires seat properly on the hydraulic drums. They are available through Speedway or a number of other suppliers. Here is a link - http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Early-Ford-Wire-Wheel-Support,5846.html

My '39 front hubs will NOT accept Ford wires. The drums fit outside the hubs, and the wheels hit the drums while the center is still a long way from contact. You need the hubs that have the drums behind the flange, like the '47 ones I had to use.

My '39 front hubs will NOT accept Ford wires. The drums fit outside the hubs, and the wheels hit the drums while the center is still a long way from contact. You need the hubs that have the drums behind the flange, like the '47 ones I had to use.

Not sure what you are referring to, because '39 hubs would be wide five design. '40 style hubs and drums accept the earlier wires just fine, especially with the above noted support ring.

This '34 coupe has '35 16" wires all the way around on '40 drums and it has been on the road for nearly 10 years, including 2 trips from Ohio to Bonneville and back. I would say the combo works pretty good...

coupe_index.jpg

bonneville_index.jpg

drums and early wire wheels

ok,I think where we are all messed up is truck drums and car drums,what was said earlier and you guys might be able to help,I HOPE, was that 39-48 car drums will fit my 38 spindles and accept my early wires as well as 39-47 trucks with the use of the center support ring.I am trying desperately to figure this out so I can find some.....any help is much appreciated
thanks
Hawk

I am not messed up at all, just trying to tell you what you are asking. Here is what you need for an operational hydraulic brake setup on your '38 spindles. I will try to break it down so it will be a little simpler for you...

Backing plates - '39-'48 passenger car or '39-'47 truck

Hubs & drums - '40-'48 passenger car or '40-'47 truck

The backing plates, hubs & drums interchange within these years (i.e. '48 hubs and drums will work with '39 backing plates, etc.) I know this seems confusing for a noob but it's actually pretty simple.

If you want to run early wires you WILL need a support ring no matter what hydraulic hub/drum combo you use. They need it for proper support.

Latest posts

Back