38 GMC Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose-em

After mowing the lawn this morning I decided to take a few minutes to post up something about my build.

It is coming right along and the photos attached are all I have the time for right now.

I will post pics from the start to where I am now as soon as I have the time. Right now I am feeling the itch to go out and get the front end finished today so it will be rolling again.

History:

1938 GMC purchased from the original owners son still titled in the org owners name.

223 Pontiac flattie, still running when purchased

100% complete with minor rust and dings

Pulled out of a barn in Kansas, driven on the trailer and strapped down for the 8.5 hour ride to Texas. Head wind all the way and my F250 was getting between 4 and 5 mpg. Cost about 400 in fuel to get her home.

Cleaned about a foot of dirt and rat turds out of the cab.

Pulled the fenders and the bed and went to hackin it up. (some are crying that I didn't restore it to original)

I threw in the pic of the hottie just for fun.

More to come.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC02256.jpg
    DSC02256.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC02229.jpg
    DSC02229.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC02190.jpg
    DSC02190.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 116
I will try to get some more up this weekend.

I am in Wisconsin this week, Harley's 105th you know.

She had another drink and another and another and then passed out! lol

Front suspension almost done, hopefully this weekend I can roll her out and take a couple of more photos of the new stance.

More Photos

Finally I get a chance to post something up. Just a couple of more shots of the truck being transformed.

These photos are a little old but newer than the last ones. I will take a few more today and see how long it takes me to post them up.

Rear suspension going in today and there is a good possibility I will get the bed at at least tacked together and sat on the frame for a photo, we will see.

Attachments

• Front View 38 GMC.jpg
    Front View 38 GMC.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Quarter View 38 GMC.jpg
    Quarter View 38 GMC.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 201
OK before I leave to go to my new shop I will post up some older photos. As soon as I can get the pics off my cell phone I will post up pics before I started hacking away,

Attachments

• 38 GMC 1.jpg
    38 GMC 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 38 GMC 2.jpg
    38 GMC 2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 38 GMC 3.jpg
    38 GMC 3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 38 GMC and dog.jpg
    38 GMC and dog.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 102
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 118
hmmmmm no replies

Well I started on the rear suspension today but the wife wanted me home so I didn't finish.

I did get the mounts on and the springs mounted. I fooled around with the panhard bar but don't like the results so it will be removed next weekend and the location changed.

I didn't take any pics as I felt rushed and, as you know when you feel rushed you make mistakes, so I cleaned up and went home.

Next Friday and Saturday I will finish up the rear suspension and hopefully get to the bed.

Off to a fish fry. Hope somebody has a comment or two.

Maybe I need some more hotties........hmmmmmm

Attachments

• kenny and the girls.JPG
    kenny and the girls.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 66
  • sub floor after channeling.jpg
    sub floor after channeling.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 158
  • me and the girl.jpg
    me and the girl.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 137
  • how did I get this lucky.jpg
    how did I get this lucky.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 203
  • hotties 1.jpg
    hotties 1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 126
The truck is coming along nicely. It looks really good in the pic taken fron the right front. We're building a similiar one for my grandson. I just noticed your handsome dog in the radiator shell pic.

I used to travel to Australia at my old job so I named the dog Aussie. He is awesome! I have trained pointing dogs but never a retriever and he is doing well. I took him duck hunting last year and he is great.

Aussie weighs in at 124 pounds and is very well behaved. I work with him every day.

I haven't yet decided 100% to chop the top. I am waiting to see what she looks like when I get the bed and grille back on.

I think your grandson's is on here also. It looks awesome!

I am putting the original Pontiac flathead 6 back in. Not much power, 85 horses, but way cool. I plan to mod the engine a bit to squeeze out a few more ponies.

2 strombergs and a little off the head. Isky is making me a new cam, OUCH!

These pics are a little boring and a little old. I don't get to work on it much during the week so it is a little slow going.

Currently the chop is complete although not shown in these photos. Rear suspension is semi done, I don't like a couple of minor aesthetic items. Rear frame kick up is completed.

Engine is at the machine shop.

I will post up more when I get the time. Hope to be in Vegas in April or at the very least at the Lone Star Roundup.

Pics don't show it but she is getting close.

Found a few more pics.

Bed almost done

Rolled rear pan

Chop almost done. Removed 3.5 inches and kept the rear window the same size. Leaned back the pillars which required one relief cut to the top of the cab. Left the top with a nice rake that matches the body lines.

Grill under construction

Front suspension is temporary, I threw it together when I moved from Texas to here so I could load on the trailer. New suspension has been designed, just need to get it started.

Attachments

• DSC03394.jpg
    DSC03394.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC03396.jpg
    DSC03396.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC03408.jpg
    DSC03408.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC03453.jpg
    DSC03453.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03451.jpg
    DSC03451.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 140
looks good, goose, i really like the way your front end/grille looks in that last pic...just curious is that the factory headlamps or what did they come off of?

They are from the factory. Truck was 100% complete when I bought it and I am trying to reuse everything that makes sense.

Grill has been cut down about 15" or so, have the original insert that will be slightly modified and then go back in.

Latest posts

Back