38 GMC Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah man not the thumb:(:(:( i know exactly what your going through i broke mine about three years ago.... i feel for ya....but heres a hint duct tape.... helps alot you'll figure it out.... get well brother;);)

A Little work on the grill today.

#1, Hmmm what to do

#2, A little of this

#3, and some of this

#4, Looks like this

#5, ends up like this

A little more welding and a little more grinding and she should look like it came from the factory that way.

10 inches cut out of the grill!

Attachments

• DSC03506.jpg
    DSC03506.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC03509.jpg
    DSC03509.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC03511.jpg
    DSC03511.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC03515.jpg
    DSC03515.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC03520.jpg
    DSC03520.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 63
Rolled it outside a month or two ago for a little photo shoot by my wife.

Engine will be done at the end of February and if all goes well off to Vegas!

1828 miles in a 1938 GMC running a 223 Pontiac flathead six bored to a 307, running two Stromberg 97's, custom intake, exhaust, original rear end running 3:73 and the original 4 speed.

Oh yeah baby!!!!!!!!

Wife will be in the chase car!

Attachments

• DSC03488.jpg
    DSC03488.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC03491.jpg
    DSC03491.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 107
Off to work to solve a few issues so today will be a bust on the rod.

Tomorrow more work on the grill, if I am lucky I will get the insert done but there are a couple of pesky screws to get out first.

I will post some pics when I get it done.

I solved the problems with a few hours to spare so......

#1. Started with this

#2. and some of this

#3. That left this

#4. And it looks like this

#5. But there is this to deal with.......

Attachments

• DSC03517.jpg
    DSC03517.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC03521.jpg
    DSC03521.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC03523.jpg
    DSC03523.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC03524.jpg
    DSC03524.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC03545.jpg
    DSC03545.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 47
Installment #1 on how to fix the big gaping hole.

#1. Cut a piece like this and shape to fit. Difficult to do with limited tools, no shrinker, english wheel, etc just a set of hammers and dollies

#2. Weld the shaped panel in place like this. More welding to come.

#3. Now the hood fits properly, at least on the left side, the right fits also but looks funky due to a bent hood hinge.

Hard to tell but where the fenders attached to the hood had a "dent" that followed the radius of the fender. A little hammer and dolly work and voila no more little dent. Still have to fill a bolt hole but I would rather do that than cut in a patch panel.

Attachments

• DSC03546.jpg
    DSC03546.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC03552.jpg
    DSC03552.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC03549.jpg
    DSC03549.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 43
Wow, that thing looks like you drew a cartoon & just made a truck to look like it. It's gonna be insane when your done! Sounds like an interesting drivetrain as well.

man hope the thumbis feeling better ,,, Goose it sure does look sweet my friend doing a great job keep it up i like the stance also in the truck that grill is gonna look sick.....[cl[cl[P[cl

Thumb was killing me last night, almost thought I might have to give it a break today but.........

What the heck, I am on vacation so I need to take advantage of every minute I can, Just need to remember not to use it so much.

Thanks guys for the compliments, I hope it looks good when done.

A little tired today so not much.

Welded up the insert and the grill modification, all those little slits. Pain in the you know what.

Did a little grinding and then decided to take a shower, man was I stinky!!!

No pics for today, maybe Saturday. Need to finish the Christmas shopping tomorrow and the next day....well you know.

In the home stretch now, start at the front and work to the back until she is done.

Maybe I will get to the steering this weekend and into next week. OF course I have to get that pesky axle back from the machine shop. I gave up on the king pins so I took it to the local machine shop. I only have a 30 tom press, they have a 50 but have had a hard time getting them out.

If they don't have them out by Monday next week I plan to get the axle and do it myself. I have an idea........

Oh yeah hope to get to Gulf Port next week to visit my engine at McMurtry's, drop off a couple of parts and pick up the bell housing.

See you all in a few. Take care and Happy Holidays!

Latest posts

Back