39 Ford Coupe Buggy Spring Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmc1

Does anyone have any experience with the buggy springs on the 39 Ford coupes? I have a 1939 Ford coupe that I took the original rear end out of along with the buggy spring. The car has leaf springs in the back now. While inspecting the front buggy spring I noticed someone had nicked one of the leafs on the front with a grinder in an attempt to lower the car's front. I am going to keep the front straight axle and I was wondering if anyone knows if the rear buggy spring is the same as the front buggy spring and if I could use it on the front?
Thanks, DMC1:confused:

answr

osr is ol skool rods's magizine forum, good for lurking but just like every other forum except this one unless youve been there for years dont ask anything or they will flame ya.... dp1

I realized after I walked away that OSR stood for Old School Rods. Thanks for the info. DMC1

Hey, Blue Eyed Devil. Thanks for the info and for taking it easy on me since it was my first post on OSR. LOL! The car I am working on was left to me by my Dad when he passed away in 2006. I limped the car across town and got it running. I'm trying to keep it up. It is a 39 Standard coupe. The car is a good 30 foot car and then it shows it's life. It is a solid car though and It gets a lot of looks. I've never had anything this old and I will be asking a bunch of questions. As for the question you asked on OSR of how bad was the spring "nicked". Someone in a previous time cut two of the leafs off with a cut off tool and while doing this they nicked the other leafs that were left. I know from previous experience and training that metal will pick up stress risers when nicked or cut. I feel sure that this 39 spring has cycled a couple of times in it's life and I would hate to tear up the car because of a bad spring. What I need is someone who has a spring they can part with reasonable. I also have a couple of original transmissions and the complete enclosed drive shaft/rearend that came from the car originally. So far the car still has a 50 model flathead, C4 trans, and a 10 bolt rearend. I hope to get a set of steel wheels and wide whites for it in the near future. Thanks again DMC1:cool:

Attachments

• 100_0609 (Small).JPG
    100_0609 (Small).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 27
That is a really great looking car and even better that it came from your pops. The polished Americans look good, and some steelies would be cool too for a change up now and then. Perfect drivetrain for the car as well.

But back to your spring, I would highly recommend a Posies Super Slide reverse eye spring. They are high quality, ride great and will keep your car at it's lowered height safely without butchering a spring like someone already did. It would be pretty easy to swap out, and they are available from Speedway for $139. Money well spent, especially on a car as nice as yours...

Quick question for you Blue Eyed Devil. Which one of the Posie's springs would I need? I see they have a 35 3/4 and a 42 3/8. It also states in the description to use with a certain axle. Will these springs work with a stock Ford axle? Thanks, DMC1:cool:

Latest posts

Back