39 Plymouth PT-81 from Illinois

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowdrive

Hey everyone whats up?
Found the site doing a search on the web for pics to narrow down my direction on the 39....had a few projects over the years and hope to be atleast rolling on its own power by next spring.
Got it just as she sits, had the power Mustang II, 9", 305 TBI/700R4 and sitting on what I was told is a aftermarket 50 chevy frame.

Picture1957.jpg

Last edited:
welcome from chicagoland.. all of us IL people are taking over!

Welcome, what direction you going with it?

Still figuring that out lol.....at this point I am going to get it as low as I can without a channel but do a mild chop..... there is a good chance the motor/tranny is junk and if so am looking at dropping a 5.3/4L80 in.

I have some spinal cord/back issues and a fairly nice ride is becoming a necessity not a luxury at this point :mad: so the suspension will revolve around that. We have done portions of 4 Power Tours since 2004 including a round trip of 1500mi this year in the Z/28 would be nice to take the 39 next year if I can get it drivable by then.

I had a guy I know that powdercoats spend most of last winter coming up with a combination of perfectly realistic looking etched/textured/patena rust powdercoating complete with rust runs from edges/corners that when you touch it it makes you look at you hand to see it there are rust stains on it.......I have a bike frame that was done as one of the final "test" pieces, I will see if I can get some good pics of it. My plan is to do the complete truck in the powder including a faded logo also in powder on the door.......here is a example of tank they did a harley logo on.....it is all powdercoated.

Picture005.jpg

Welcome to RRR!

Powdercoated patina!? Now that is a new one. I wanna see pics.

I tried to grab the last light just now to get the pics but trying capture the texture is hard to do with the camera.......got them uploading as I type this so we will see how they came out........I have a inner fender piece that has lovers in it that should be done as a trial piece including the runs from the corners in a week or two.

Ok here they are.......this bike frame was a clean smooth blasted steel finish before the powder......there is 100% coverage of the metal the silver you see isnt bare metal its part of the base coat. the pictures dont show the color variations very well but the color changes shades in differnt parts of the piece just like normal rust would and the texture feels like 100 grit sandpaper.

Picture2479.jpg

Picture2478.jpg

Picture2474.jpg

Picture2477.jpg

Picture2468.jpg

Picture2469.jpg

Hehe that worked better that I figured it would.......lol when you get back more that a couple of inches from it..... it blends together in a very realistic finish

Wow. That's pretty cool lookin. A couple of those shots actually look like a 100 grit sanding belt close up. What all are you going to have powdercoated?

Hay there SlowDrive, Thanks for the link the sight is very cool. Let me know how the truck is comming and if you need help with anything.

Latest posts

Back