40 Chevy chop top...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good.

i dont know your plans, maybe when you get some weight on it but. the rear frame looks high to me.

just a thought: you want to make your rear pan hard rod as flat across as possible. With the severe angle you have it will move the rear end sideways when you hit a bump making it have a huge death wiggle on a bumpy road. The rest is looking good.

looks good.

i dont know your plans, maybe when you get some weight on it but. the rear frame looks high to me.

Thanks.

Once we get a bed, and fuel cell back there it will help. Using a 47-53 bed and the rear fenders will have to be widened to fit the tires, that will help. Plus I'm thinking of welding some cranks together or this twisted and rolled rebar/flat steel for a rear bumper. If all else fails we cut the the springs. I do want the hot rod rake though. To early to tell.

just a thought: you want to make your rear pan hard rod as flat across as possible. With the severe angle you have it will move the rear end sideways when you hit a bump making it have a huge death wiggle on a bumpy road. The rest is looking good.

Yes, I found a link on here that is relaying the same information. Definitely going to re-examine the pan hard bar. Thanks for your input.

I do have pics under 39 mock up thread. What are the headers for I need some and can't figure out what people are using. Those are what I need. Thanks

wow you are moving along on this!!! Just a couple days ago I was looking at this foam block you got and now there is a painted frame, ladder bars, real motor..... holy crap!!!

wow you are moving along on this!!! Just a couple days ago I was looking at this foam block you got and now there is a painted frame, ladder bars, real motor..... holy crap!!!

Thanks. Since we started with an existing but bare frame and had most of the parts before we started it has gone quick. It's going to slow down after this week. The cab I'm using had the chop started so we need to square it back up and fix whatever needs fixed before we can start on finishing it. It'll be interesting to say the least. Going to need over 200 inches of welding!

Twisted Steel

Here are some pics of the material were going use for the rear bumper.

20130201_115338_zpsbe952f9b.jpg

20130201_115325_zps131e171f.jpg

Second piece in from the top left, with the rebar/flat steel on it is my thought.

20130201_115242_zps34b627a1.jpg

Why rebar?
I guess I just hate rebar because I've had to put miles and miles
Of it in concrete.
Build is looking good.
Hammer down.

POPS

Dig the twisted metal

That must be the coolest store on the planet. Looking at hose bundles of twisted metal are a dudes equivalent of a chick jewelry shopping...

Cab mock up started!

Been a couple weeks since we did anything to the truck, but we got it in the shop and started. Fixed some of the buggerd up stuff the last guy did and have a solid cab to work with now. Got it up on the frame to start some mock up.

20130210_140711_zps7335d06b.jpg

20130210_140731_zpsc51812da.jpg

20130210_133745_zps3306c8ca.jpg

20130210_130248_zps7ada52c3.jpg

Going to do a 4"-6" channel on the cab, depending on headroom and line of site out the windshield. Going to use plywood for a mock floor the throw a bucket seat out of a 85 Camaro for starters. Also thinking a 3rd row seat out of a Caravan so I can have a bench. Off to the junkyard for that one! [cl

very cool build .I am starting on a 40 3/4 ton.what is the frame you are using? dosnt look like a 40. not sure were your goin but I like it. I am wondering about the high stance ,are you doing a gasser type build? I am thinkin about doing a srait axle front, ladder bar rear gasser style.

very cool build .I am starting on a 40 3/4 ton.what is the frame you are using? dosnt look like a 40. not sure were your goin but I like it. I am wondering about the high stance ,are you doing a gasser type build? I am thinkin about doing a srait axle front, ladder bar rear gasser style.

Thanks for the comments.

The frame is a 46 Ford 1/2ton truck frame. Still has the 46 straight axle and leafs. We did remove 2 leafs to lower the front. As far as the stance, it's higher in the back than I want but once we get a bed/fenders, fuel cell, and some kind of bumper on it we'll cut the coils for the right stance.

Latest posts

Back