40 Studebaker build pics

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys this thread "isn't dead yet" (in my best Monty Python voice).

I've put some miles on the car (about 600 or so) and it drives good. BUT......when I get it out on the highway, the motor is screaming at 65 mph. The rear is from a 4x4 S-10 Blazer out of the local you pull it and even though I haven't checked the ratio, it has to be in the 4:11 range. The car jumps off the line and is fun that way, but like I said at 65 the 327 is screaming. Sooooo the one guy who works next door was telling me he has a 95 Z-28 with a 350 LT1, automatic, and 3:73 posi rear with disc brakes. Complete car that was in an accident (the engine trans and rear are ok) only about 25K miles on the whole thing. I'm going to look at it this weekend and to see what kind of horse trading we can do to work out some kind of deal on the whole thing. I'm thinking that drive train should make the car a lot more driveable and help gas mileage.

Oh heck....now I have another problem.....would this drive train be better in the Studebaker or the 56 Chevy 2 door wagon I just got?

Why fix the stude if it isnt broken?? if the 56 needs a drive train id go that way for now. Gets it up and going a lot quicker.

RR, we had the same issue with my Dad's 48 Pontiac. Everything worked like a champ but the rear gears were too deep (I tried to warn him). When we would caravan to a rod run or show, we used to have to go slow so Pop's could stay with us on the freeway because his big block would be screaming for mercy. We swapped in a highway ratio and now the car is much more enjoyable on the road. Now we have to get him to slow down for us or he drives off and leaves us on the top end.....and his fuel bill is less.

I wouldn't switch to that 3:73 rear without the OD transmission if I were you. That's still a bit too much gear without a really tall tire in my opinion.

Why fix the stude if it isnt broken?? if the 56 needs a drive train id go that way for now. Gets it up and going a lot quicker.

I agree, just get a different gear for the rear or an overdrive transmission.

RR, we had the same issue with my Dad's 48 Pontiac. Everything worked like a champ but the rear gears were too deep (I tried to warn him). When we would caravan to a rod run or show, we used to have to go slow so Pop's could stay with us on the freeway because his big block would be screaming for mercy. We swapped in a highway ratio and now the car is much more enjoyable on the road. Now we have to get him to slow down for us or he drives off and leaves us on the top end.....and his fuel bill is less.

I wouldn't switch to that 3:73 rear without the OD transmission if I were you. That's still a bit too much gear without a really tall tire in my opinion.

Guess I should listen to the smart people here on RRR since it does make more sense to put a different gear in the Studebaker, since it is running. That would be a quicker fix without tying the car up so I can keep driving it. (And don't worry Bill, I wouldn't swap the 3:73 without the OD transmission....since the turbo 350 is still working ok, I'll probably look for a 3:50 or higher ratio rear for the car)

Yes the 56 needs a drive train, so the Camaro donor with the LT1 / trans / rearend (and other goodies) would help get that on the road quicker....guess now I need to get my butt in gear and get to work....no literally. I have to go to work, so thinking about car stuff will have to be put on hold for a few hours.

Thanks for the input guys!

Well, I didn't even see the Camaro yet, but we did a deal on it. I'm gonna try and get over to his house Sunday after work to actually see it (and take some pics). I probably won't be dragging it out from his place until after Thanksgiving (I gotta make some room), but he's ok with that..said it's not in his way. Guess in a couple of weeks I'll be starting anew build thread

love the work on 40 Stude

Hi,
I like the work you did on the Stude,then I saw your posts were from 2009.
I have a '41 Plymouth 4dr.sdn. that needs about the same thing done as you did with sectioning the front frame...etc. Mine was a running/driving flathead 6cyl.3sp.(sold motor/trans) with less rust then yours.

I wanted to keep mine all Mopar so I bought a'85 police optioned Dodge Diplomat to use everything I could(318,auto,8 1/4 rear,seats,steering column,etc) to make the '41 like you did(a cheap V8/automatic street rod).

But due to several heart attacks & other health issues I can't finish mine.
So I have it for sale($1700.00obo), I wish I had someone like you that lived near by that could get my car put on the road for me.

Well I'm from eastern PA, but since my last post in this thread the Camaro was gone when I went for it.....apparently it wasn't in his way, but it was in his wife's way......long story short I drove the car as it was through the end of 2010 then started pulling it apart because the transmission was making noise (think its the input shaft). Only problem is I never got back to it. It's actually going on eBay later today as a roller. I've had it listed here for awhile but need it gone before the end of March.

I'm sorry about your health issues...had a heart attack myself. They aren't fun! My buddy that helped with the Studebaker is a Mopar guy...send me a pic of yours, who knows he might be tempted to take on another project

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back