40 Studebaker build pics

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pics yet, but I finally got the chance to spend a whole day working on the Studebaker...first full day in months. I actually have it down on the ground, and ready to fit the front end so I can figure out the radiator mounting. Still have to build the trunk floor and mount the battery back there once it's built, and some other misc other things, but I feel good because I actually got the time to work on it and got some stuff done.

I'll get pics sometime in the next week or so...as it's backing out of the garage under it's own power:D

Well, I guess I was wrong with my post above....no pics of it backing out of the garage under it's own power. I actually put it back up on the stands again so it would be easier to wire the tail lights and mount the gas tank filler neck. My brother in laws place of employment "donated" the weather pack connectors for the rear wiring harness connections.

In the first pic I started the trunk floor. I picked up a bead roller a while back and thought it would be a good time to play on the trunk floor. I guess I need to be a little more patient when making my lines, but it definetly stiffend up the metal. I still have to bend a "Z" piece for the back of the trunk floor (I'm putting in a "tool storage recess" like the 40 Fords had in their trunks) that will close up the trunk and give support to the back side of the floor. I still have to mount the battery box which is going in the passengers side front of the trunk.

P7196752.jpg

P7196753.jpg

I also mounted the rear bumper.....an old VW piece that was to narrow for the width of the car, but that was fixed by splitting the bumper and adding the license plate guard. I have an angle that will bolt to the bottom flange of the guard and mount the plate.

P7196750.jpg

P7196757.jpg

That's it for now, but slowly it's getting there, and some time soon it will be backing out of the garage under it own power:)

Not much time this weekend because of work, but I did get the trunk finished up for now(except for seem sealing), and got the battery mount in

P7266762.jpg

P7266761.jpg

That's all for now, but I'm really hoping by next weekend making it move under it's own power:D

Good to see your getting further along. Things always happen to throw us off our schedule. Like waht you did with the trunk area & rear bumper.

IT LIVES!

For the first time in two years the Studebaker has seen the light of day....and it was under it's own power. I still have a ton of little things to do (you can probably tell that by the following pictures), but I will be driving it to the car show our car club is putting on at the end of the month.

P8096770.jpg

P8096788.jpg

P8096790.jpg

P8096792.jpg

I made a pattern for the windshield, and I'm going tomorrow to get that rolling. During the week I'm going to try and get the bear claw latches in the doors, and I guess I should mount the speedometer and finish putting the rest of the dash back together

P8096785.jpg

Ron,That's a nice milestone, moving under its own power. Looks like there's a few parts to bolt on and you'll be ready to go!

Must be a great feeling to be at this point. I still have a ways to go with my project, sometimes it is discouraging, but I keep plugging away. :p Perley

Love it! I love my 49 Truck Im in the works on.. Keep it UP! mine still hasnt seen the road in WHO KNOWS WHEN! besides on a trailer to my house.. in parts.. HA!

Geez, those front wheels are hiding a bit deep in there, looks alright though. I was going to do a similar thing to the taillights of my 69 Chrysler Valiant, but i got sick of the car and sold it.

Keep progressing man, it will be totally worth it in the end!

Geez, those front wheels are hiding a bit deep in there, looks alright though. I was going to do a similar thing to the taillights of my 69 Chrysler Valiant, but i got sick of the car and sold it.

Keep progressing man, it will be totally worth it in the end!

yeah....I should have used a Camaro front clip rather then the S-10. The front track is a little wider. When I started I had an S-10 laying there and I used a complete S-10 frame under my 39 Plymouth and it worked out near perfect

ply3copy.jpg

ply1copy.jpg

I normally spend more time preping for a build and should have caught the difference, but I just looked at what was laying around and figured I'd make it work.....

That having been said, one thought I had for fixing the front track width is wheel spacers....the ones you bolt on to the hub and then bolt your wheel to that....have any of you used these or had any experience with these spacers?
I was thinking about 1-1/2" spacers which would move my wheels out and look a little better.

Thanks again guys and gals for everything!

Looks good...you made the right choice with the s10, camaro prolly been too wide and you'd have to trim the fenders to keep the tires from rubbin.;)

I just got some 1 1/2" billet spacers for the rear of mine from this place, worked out great....

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapters_s/25.htm?gclid=CIalioummZwCFQ_xDAod10c_dQ

$70, showed up right away, good quality.

Thanks for the link Big Irish...that's cheaper then I've seen them in the past

Looks good...you made the right choice with the s10, camaro prolly been too wide and you'd have to trim the fenders to keep the tires from rubbin.;)

Actually Fuzz, after I already had the S-10 welded in I found this car and the guy said it was a Camaro clip...I crawled underneath and looking in from the hood....it was a nicer fit then what I got.

ImportedPhotos00510.jpg

Well.....there was lots of thrashing the last couple of weekends, but I finally got to drive the Studebaker. Our car club show was this past weekend and I drove her there. Not with out some issues.....the 73 Dart radiator I had laying around was keeping things cool, until one of the tubes decided to blow apart.. I guess I'll have to break down and buy a new radiator, but like I said I had it laying there and it fit the opening. Ther then the radiator deal, the car drove and rode good. I got a few small things I need to address some where down the road, but for now I'm gonna put some miles on it.

P8317315.jpg

P8317317.jpg

P8317318.jpg

P8317319.jpg

Great news RoddingRon. Looks sharp and sits nice too. It's nice to see it out and about at the end of a project thread. Congrats.

It's nice to see it out and about at the end of a project thread. Congrats.

Sorry guys this thread "isn't dead yet" (in my best Monty Python voice).

I've put some miles on the car (about 600 or so) and it drives good. BUT......when I get it out on the highway, the motor is screaming at 65 mph. The rear is from a 4x4 S-10 Blazer out of the local you pull it and even though I haven't checked the ratio, it has to be in the 4:11 range. The car jumps off the line and is fun that way, but like I said at 65 the 327 is screaming. Sooooo the one guy who works next door was telling me he has a 95 Z-28 with a 350 LT1, automatic, and 3:73 posi rear with disc brakes. Complete car that was in an accident (the engine trans and rear are ok) only about 25K miles on the whole thing. I'm going to look at it this weekend and to see what kind of horse trading we can do to work out some kind of deal on the whole thing. I'm thinking that drive train should make the car a lot more driveable and help gas mileage.

Oh heck....now I have another problem.....would this drive train be better in the Studebaker or the 56 Chevy 2 door wagon I just got?

.just followed this thread from start til now.....looking good....that's always a plus when a guy gets to "drive 'em out"
looking forward to seeing whether or not you re-do it with the updated parts....

Latest posts

Back