400m

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been around Fords a long time, never had a 400 but never heard any thing bad about them either, C6's are good trans, if the price is right I'd be all over it [S

400M is used mostly in trucks, It went into some full size cars like LTD's to. Low speed, high torque motors, mostly gas hogs. Used the same heads as the 351C, but totally different block. Here's more info:

The 335 Series Engines

The were two engine types in the Ford engine design family known as the 335 series, the 351 Cleveland and the M-block. There were several variants of the 351 Cleveland (351C) engine, but there were only two M-block variants, the 351M and 400. From 1971 to 1982, Ford manufactured millions of M-block engines for use in mid-sized cars, full-sized cars, luxury cars, and light and medium-duty trucks.

Compared to the 351C, the 400 featured a completely new block with the big-block (429/460) bell housing bolt pattern, over 1" taller deck height (10.297" vs 9.206"), larger crankshaft main journals (3.00" vs 2.749"), and longer connecting rods (6.58" vs 5.78"). The 400′s bore diameter (4.00") and bore spacing (4.38") match those of the 351C and the later 90-degree small blocks (289, 302, and 351W). The 400 produces its additional 49 cubic inches of advertised displacement with a 4.00" stroke of the crankshaft. In fact, the 400 has the longest stroke of any factory stock Ford V8 engine!

Both engine types in the 335 series share certain design characteristics, but the only major component interchangeable between 351C engines and M-block engines is the cylinder head. Several internal components and accessories interchange, including camshafts, timing sets, water pumps, fuel pumps, oil pans, distributors, and thermostat housings.

When it was introduced in 1971, the 400 was available in Customs, Galaxies, and LTDs. It was developed as the 351C’s big brother, and it was designed to provide brisk acceleration for big, heavy, full-sized cars. Big torque at low engine speeds was a major priority of the 400′s design, and the 400′s long stroke helped to assure that performance in a package that was both smaller and lighter than its predecessor, the 385 series (429/460) big block.

In 1971, the 400 used a flat top piston that produced a 9.0:1 compression ratio. In 1972, compression was lowered with a dished piston that produced only 8.4:1 compression. The low compression piston was used until M-block production ceased in 1982. Beginning in 1973, Ford retarded the camshaft timing on some 335 series engines to meet emission control regulations.

Production of the 351C ended during the 1974 model year. To keep up with the market demand for engines in the 350 cubic inch class (which apparently Ford couldn’t do with its production of the 351 Windsor alone), the 351M was developed. The 351M was first used in passenger cars in the 1975 model year.

The 351M was a simple, de-stroked adaptation of the 400. It uses the same block as the 400 with a shorter stroke crankshaft (3.50"), the same M-block connecting rods, and a unique piston with a taller compression height to compensate for the shorter stroke with the same rods in the same block. In fact, the only difference between the 351M and 400 is the crankshaft and pistons. All other components are the same. In practice, Ford did use slightly different components in the 351M and 400 for different applications and for performance reasons, such as camshafts, timing sets, and valve springs, but functionally, the engines were identical except for crankshafts and pistons. The 351M’s unique piston was a dished type that produced 8.0:1 compression.

Interestingly, the 351 Cleveland built such a strong performance reputation and market appeal that Ford referred to the 351M as a "351 Cleveland" in their own marketing literature for at least the first couple years after the 351M was introduced. Ultimately, this led to a lot of confusion, and even a mistaken belief among some pickup truck owners that their trucks had 351 Cleveland engines. In fact, the only trucks ever equipped with a 351 Cleveland engine by the factory were ’70-’74 Rancheros, which shared the Torino’s platform and powertrain options.

Both M-block engines were used in passenger cars through the 1979 model year. After 1979, the biggest engine available in a Ford passenger car was the 351/5.8L Windsor, and it was available in the US only in the Crown Victoria police package. In Canada, the 351 Windsor was available in both the Crown Victoria police package and in a Canada-only Crown Victoria trailer-towing package.

From http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/high-performance-options-for-the-351m-400-engine/

I have a 351 M - 400 They say its the same parts fits both .. I rebuilt the one I have ,, they just dont hold up to high rpms ,, they are a low end torque engine I guess you would say .. Ive herd other that try to race them they say they dont like it when you play in mud and over rev, them , I am not pleased with the performance on mine yet , bottom end or top end performance . I can still tinker with my carb and maybe get it straitend out Not sure yet

thats what I have in my 29 sedan. It is just a cruiser. I have had no problems with my set up. It came from a 1979 linclon and I used the motor, trans, and rearend. Fuel milage SUCKS literally. In the light model A I only get 13.5 -14 mpg. I live on the motto of " Smiles per Gallon" in my world. LOL. [cl

thats what I have in my 29 sedan. It is just a cruiser. I have had no problems with my set up. It came from a 1979 linclon and I used the motor, trans, and rearend. Fuel milage SUCKS literally. In the light model A I only get 13.5 -14 mpg. I live on the motto of " Smiles per Gallon" in my world. LOL. [cl

you would think for as light of a body you would get awesome gas mileage

Latest posts

Back