401 Nailhead...perplexed?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moronthethrottle

Cross Member
What to do? I just purchased my grandpa-in-laws acreage. He has 50+ years of scrap piled up northwest of the house. In the pile is a 401 Nailhead out of my father-in-laws first car-'62 Buick.

It took me a while to track down the part #s & get a positive id on the engine & tranny. I just called dad-I-L and confirmed the source of it. He claims he wrecked the car and they just pulled the motor/tranny and threw it in the scrap pile. It's been sitting like this for ? years. Question is, should I scrap it, save & rebuild it, or sell it? There is also another 2bbl intake sitting by it in the pile. I realize that the dynaflow is junk and never did shift worth a crap and that I won't get much for it, but someone may be looking for a block or place to start on a Buick/Nailhead project (rvs flow?). WWYD?

IMG_0042.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0047.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0040.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0046.jpg
[/IMG]

Well if I were you and I had the room, I would grab at least grab the engine and put it in the corner until I, or someone else I know needed one. They are getting harder to find and are a very good looking piece of machinery to me.

photo thread

OK, so after checking out the photo thread contest contest, I have no choice but to keep this thing. I have four acres of land and an empty 45'x75' machine shed to store it in. NO EXCUSES!:D

It's probably junk after sitting for so long outside and it may be many more years before I get to build a vintage Jaguar rat around it, but that's my plan so far. I see the master kit sells for $1036.52 from NorthernAuto. That's a little more than a SBC, but these things just look sooooo cooooool.:cool:

Keep it!

Keep that motor, even if you don't have the money to rebuild it now. I promise you, you'll kick yourself later if you sell it now. Those are great motors and like the others have said, harder and harder to find every day.

Beercan

keeper

... and I even have a ST 400 transmission that will bolt right up! Don't junk the Dynaflow - resto people need the parts - should be able to get a few bucks for the core.

440shorty

Latest posts

Back