41 desoto vs. 72 c20 which to buy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PORTnPOLISH

Well I love rat rods and never thought I could afford to get one for a good price until I ran into a 72 chevy truck and fell in love with the look and wanted to try my best to build it into a ratted pickup. Then today while browsing I run a cross a 41 4 door desoto complete with engine and trans rolls end all for 600 obo.
That's when I begin to think and change my mind like usual. But my idea for the desoto would be fenderless rat with straight pipes but I didn't see anything anywhere about the desoto being ratted in that fashion and started to again second guess my desision.

Opinions on the projects?

Get both. 72 C10 is great daily driver, power steering, power disc brakes parts chaser for the Desoto build. Yeh..get em both!!..:D

I'm not real big on 4 doors and a 41 Desoto with no fenders would be just plain goofy looking IMHO. It could be a nice family cruiser type restorod, even with a flat black rat flair.
The 67- 72 are a very popular trucks right now and they are easy to get parts for. I have owned a few and found the cabs a little junky compared to Fords of the same vintage. Mostly the doors, they almost never close smoothly and the door check design is poor. Just let the wind catch your door once and it will be sprung. That doesn't seem to keep them from having great popularity though.

Yeah I have learned 40s sedans don't go fenderless. But it still looks like a gangster car to me haha. Anyways I'm going to be in over my head with the desoto for a first rat anyways. It seemed like a good price though.

Now I know what a desoto 4 door looks like I'm in love. I like the rear suicide doors and the grill is bad ass. I know the truck will be an easy project but I think the desoto would be much more satisfying in the end and it will teach me a lot more about fabrication to pave the way to future rats rodz.

2005-12-28_1941-De-Soto-SideWeb-Large.jpg

Drop it and paint it black...

Another thing to consider is title and registration depending on where you live. I have a clean clear title for my 47 but the DMV still wants me to bond the car. Anything prior to 48 has to be bonded from what I was told.

Desoto all the way but leave the fenders on! C20 for parts vehicle.
Remember we're here to help you out if you get in over your head.

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking but the more I see it the more badass I think it is. The rear suicide doors are sickness and its complete just needs either rebuilt or a engine and trans transplant....oh yeah black paint and slammed :)

Well I have made my desicion on the 72 truck because of its condition and the fact the owner of the 41 can't provide anypictures and I'm not about to drive 3 hours to find out his description wasn't very accurate. So as of right now I'm trying to get ahole of the guy with the 72.

DeSoto. bag it, paint it black and make sure that it can lay frame when you bag it. some nice pin striping and do up the interior. with the suicide doors, that thing is and will be SICK.

DeSoto. bag it, paint it black and make sure that it can lay frame when you bag it. some nice pin striping and do up the interior. with the suicide doors, that thing is and will be SICK.

Damnit you!!!! Its people like you making my desicion hard haha. I'm also worried that getting a old dry flat inline 6 to run is going to cost a pretty penny, I would consider a swap but I have heard nothing but horror stories about pre 48 vehicles in I'll as far as registration.

Well after all this searching I was back and forth on the 41 and the chevy but today a 40 on a s10 frame already ,46 plymouth,41 truck,62f100 and a 62 ford truck all pop up on craigslist!! Damn I got picking to my liking now!!

pics of the 40 on the s10 frame. that will be the easiest to work on most likely. it will definitely be the easiest to bag and work on the frame. i still say bag whatever it is and pinstripe it.

Where are located PnP?
I re-read your intro - for 300$ you can't really go wrong with that 72! Drop it a few inches, paint it up a bit and you can probably sell it for a few extra bux in a few months when your ready to really get dirty.

Me, I started with my F100 and dove deep with my Olds.

Latest posts

Back