42 ford pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been really busy this week , but it seems like EVERYTHING is taking longer than I hoped it would ! ( Yea I know better) Not a whole lot that is really picture worthy . Lets see, I ran fuel lines and filter, rebuilt carb, shortened the shifter, installed the doors with a few adjustments, mounted the seats and a few other details that I can't think of right now. I worked on the brake lines and steering shaft but there is still more to do on these. I found a lower radiator hose that I was able to make fit after a trim job. I still need to make upper radiator brackets and mount the radiator. The UPS man came last night with a couple of boxes from Speedway ! I got my bearings for the steering shaft, a longer fan spacer, a smaller steering wheel and an alternater bracket. I hope to get the alt. mounted along with proper spacing and alighnment for the pulleys and power steering pump. I am getting closer to being able to fire the motor. When she makes some noise I will catch some new energy !!! I hope to get a lot done this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 56
Most of us are slower than we think.
When you feel like you're not getting much done, just go back through your thread :)
[P:cool:[P

Well I wrapped up a lot of loose ends the last couple of days. I'm hoping to make some noise tomorrow. This motor came out of an IMCA sportmod. I've never heard it run with a four barrel. It has a much better set of heads and intake than the IMCA rules allowed. I can't wait !!
I also rattle canned the cab I didn't have time to finish stripping the baby blue paint so this was quicker.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 61
I'm trying to figure out a easy way to fab up some hinges for the hood . I'm just looking for quick and simple . Not much left of the stock hinges or the attachment points on the hood , so I'm starting from scratch . Any and all ideas and input would be greatly appreciated .

A few pics from today. I made a lot of progress and had a few setbacks . Fired her up and made some noise. I have some more carb work to do !Details later. Vacations over , back to work tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 53
It's been a rough week for me , but I still got a good bit accomplished. A death in the family consumed the beginning of the week. And I have been battling the flu for a couple of weeks now . None the less my deadline is bearing down on me and I must keep pushing forward. I got the front cap fitted , but I still need some reinforcement. I worked on mounting the ignition box and coil. I got the brake lines finished and bled . I got the clutch line finished and bled . The clutch gave me a hard time , as I was try to loosen the bleeder on the hydraulic throwout bearing inside the blowproof, the bleeder broke off. The only way to remedy this was to pull the tranny. I got that straightened out as well as an annoying carburetor issue., only to find out I had a clutch issue. I am running a solid friction disc , without a cush in the n middle . When you mill the flywheel the room to displace the cush disappears . I an running a Ram 10# flywheel which is extra thin . You have to watch which way the hub is pointed , even though it is a solid disc with no cush , the rivets stick out more one way. Yes I put it in backwards , even though I know better , I screwed up. So I pulled the tranny a second time ! I also got some temporary gauges and switches mounted . I have to mount the bed next and work on headlights and taillights. I started on the headlights today. I hope to drive it in a couple of days. I ran it through the gears on the lift and , yea , it sounds sweet . To say I'm excited is an understatement !!!! I have made templates for the windshield and rear window and that glass in being cut ! I am also hoping to get it to my buddy's muffler shop this week and get some exhaust run. With a little luck , I might drive it to the local show Saturday night. Did I mention I got my insurance and my plate! Did I mention That I was excited !!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 58
Sorry to hear about the death in the family and the rough week you had, but you still made some great progress. Good luck with the test run.

Sorry to hear about the family's loss. But busy hands keep my mind from problems too. Your progress is amazingly fast. Best of luck with the test run. I will definitely be waitng for the video.[P

Well things are moving along as wellas I could possibly hope for. I made some brackets for the bed to bolt to the brackets on the frame . The bed is bolted down securely. I started working on the headlight buckets. I am going to mount some 7" holegen sealed beams from speedway in the front half of the original buckets. The back half of the original buckets were rusted away . I am going to recess the halogens enough so that I can install the original 39 lenses and bezels.I'm not sure about the light shining through the lens , but we will see. (maybe LOL ) But the sock lenses are definitely the look I am going for. I am trying to do a lot each day after work to stay on schedule. This afternoon I started off with a slightly negative attitude because all I wanted to do was come home and work on my truck . I was detoured 30 minutes out of my way because my son in law needed some tools to work on his truck . Then a friend showed up with a riding lawnmower with a rusty rotton deck and wanted me to do a quick weld on it . There not much of anything left to salvage and I knew there was going to be a bit of fab work involved . I wasn't happy about either situation , but deep down inside I knew that I should not be thinking that selfishly. Well the the first thing you know my buddy who is doing my glass work texts me and says he's got my glass cut and he's coming over to install it. Suddenly I got my head straight and relized this is the way it's supposed to be . We should al l help each other whenever we can and not get so cought up in our own stuff that we can't help a friend. IMy friend that is doing my glass is my neighbor . He has never done any auto glass only commercial glass. I made the templates for him and really did not know what to expect. I am absolutely blown away by the job that he did , and he wouldn't even let me pay him. He does come see me when he needs something welded ,LOL. All this just makes me realize how blessed I really am , and how much I take for granted. Sorry about the rant, Here are some pics .

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 48
I have my headlights sitting behind some old lenses too. The light casts just fine, except both lenses throw the light downward, so I had to adjust the lights up quite a bit so that they shine right through the second lens.

Well , the 42 finally got off of the lift and out of the shop where she was built . It's been six months and I think we were both going stir crazy in there. So the last couple of days have been really busy. Friday morning I got her ready to trailer to the muffler shop. The pipes are on the outside of the cab, and will be unde r the running boards . Yea I still have to build the running boards. More onthat later. The mufllers are Supertrapps that came off of a friends sprint car. They actually sound pretty good ! I had to raise the front a couple of times . I just had it too low. I think the new springs may be settling in. I got the headlights ,taillights and brakelights functional . I still have some work to do on the lenses , hopefully today. I just love the look of the 39 teardrop lenses. So after a long day yesterday , I drove her on the street for the first time. I have a long list of things to adjust and finish , but for a shakedown run it was a complete success. I drove it to the local Sat. night cruise in. About 10 to 15 minutes away ,city driving. The truck drove good , engine ran well and no problems . I couldn't be happier !!! Unfortunately I didn't take too many pics . I will try to get some better ones today before I get her back into the shop. The shop by the way looks like a tornado hit it,LOL . So I have to do a cleanup before I get started again . It looks like we will be good for the Hazardous Waste show in Gulfport next weekend , which was my goal all along ! It wont be finished ,but I'll settle for running and driving !! Sorry about the poor quality of the night time pics. The 34 Chevy is a car I built earlier this year for a friend. When I get a chance , I'll do a build thread on that one.

Attachments

• IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg