428 Colbra Jet?? NEED ADVICE

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
First off, I apoligize for not posting much lately:eek: but I have been very busy. I have acumulated many parts for the Topolino (and some extras:eek:) and will be updating the Topo build soon. I've even done a little work on it.:D

Here is where you all come in-
Today I bought a 76 F350 with a (factory) giant cabover camper built onto the 1 ton chassis, from a guy who got it from his brother who just passed away. His brother just put a rebuilt 1969 428 Cobra jet in the truck because he wanted lots of power and didnt want to break down in Mexico.

I didnt need it but the price was right so I bought it:eek: Now what do I do?

Is there much of a market for this motor with gas at $4 a gallon and rising?
The chassis and Cab are in great shape. Sell it or part it out?

It would make a great car hauller if the camper was removed.

Just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

Thanks

Eyeeeee Like it! I still have a 460 that runs super strong. Thinking the only place for it is a car that doesn't get driven much. I can build that. Maybe a 1/4 mile at a time.

Maddog. The 428CJ is a good engine. It's in the "FE" engine series. 390, 427, 428. It's a completely different animal than the Ford 429/460. There is an ample supply of aftermarket parts for them.

Both my friend who I bought the truck from and his brother are car guys. He says "its the one to have" not just a 428 but a 428CJ:eek:
They sell for crazy money on ebay.

Both my friend who I bought the truck from and his brother are car guys. He says "its the one to have" not just a 428 but a 428CJ:eek:
They sell for crazy money on ebay.

Yea I had one in my very first car. Long story but that engine is burried in the back yard of my parents house to this day, complete junk by now I'm sure. Some of the 428 police interceptor parts will cross over to it.

Hot rod!

Madog,
I think it would be great in a lite rod with pretty tall gearing. It definitely has enough torque to put any gear & with a low 1st should be great from street lite to street lite! My .02!

BoB

Very desirable find MD, certainly too good to stay in that truck. I bet some restorer would pay good money for it, but it would be cooler if you put it in something. There was a speedshop down the street from my house years ago, and the guy put one of these into about a 68 Mustang fastback. That sucker was wicked, I can still see the bag of snakes headers he had when you looked under the front of the car.

I would get some numbers off of the engine and do some research on some of the Ford muscle car sites and on the internet. I think this is a super find and worth some money. Put a 460 in the truck and keep this thing for some project. I think you may have fallen into something here.

Don

With the pruce of muscle cars I bet you can get more for that engine than you paid for the whole truck. I have the toploader that goes behind it for sale.
I don't think gas prices will have much affect on price. Being somewhat of a Ford guy I know that Ford hoarders are unhindered by such things.

Nope. Not a 428.
Thanks to the power of the internet I did some research and its a 460 not a 428.

Good thing I didnt pay him yet.:D
Near miss. Glad I didnt have cash in my pocket yesterday when he came by.:eek:

I have always been distracted easily and Ive always been a chevy man.

Now back to your regular scheduled programing.... and the Fiat.... with a CHEVY BIG BLOCK :D

Fords are confusing to bow tie guys. I have went to check out a lot of 428s that weren't. I was intersted in one here in town in an old 4x4. I got to talking to the guys at the parts store where it sets. Yep it's a 428, well actually a 390 bored out to a 428. Roll eyes, shrug shoulders and move on.

still a good torque monster if the price is right. for further reference its very easy to tell an "FE" engine at a glance. all of them, 352 360 390 428 etc have an intake manifold that goes under the valve covers about an inch or so. if you can take the intake off without removing the valve covers, its not an fe for sure. also if my memory serves me (i'm old) the cobra jet heads have round intake ports. and theyre huge.

Latest posts

Back