45' Ford PU on a Chev. LUV chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolVanilla

Well, new to the site. Began this project a few years ago for my brother-in-law. It's been quite a learning experience...retired from my job after 34 years, helped my brother build a 36' Ford coupe from the frame up, decided to move 300 miles away after living in the same town virtually since birth....and now finishing up the new house/shop... - maybe it's time to get back on his lil' rat truck!...only been 8 years!
I'll have pics shortly (when my granddaughter shows me how to post them).
I can't believe there aren't more rat rods being built using the little LUV chassis. It's totally boxed from one end to the other, has independent torsion bar front suspension, disc brakes, and a rear-end that's as stout as a
9" Ford....and has axles just as big as their 31 splines. Here's the kicker- most (that were standard transmission) came from the factory with a 4:11 rear grear!!
These chassis' are (in my opinion) the absolute best for rat rod projects. I've bought three of the longer wheelbase versions paying no more than $100 for any of them! You simple can't beat the price nor the ride these little trucks provide. The only drawback is the independent front end showing...and of course the steering and lower control arms showing.
I choose to remove all of the steering components and replace with a rack & pinion. This cleans up the front end and makes it absolutely acceptable.
You guys need to check these out before jumping on the S-10 frames/chassis.

I considered the Luv it but the torsion bars crowded things so I used a Ford courier frame instead.

A friend of mine used to drag race a 350 powered LUV. Those rears aren't as strong as they look, he destroyed about 3 or 4 of them before he went to a 9" Ford.

Another good frame is a 80's Toyota pickup. They are also torsion bar front ends. The late 70's ones used coils.

Latest posts

Back