46 Pontiac 4 door

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this will feel right at home in this little Pontiac.

100_5292.jpg

Kewl video but not sure I would call ours a beater. After the customer enjoys the car for a while like it is his wife wants to take it to stage two "PAINT".

I only like the car i dont like the tool driving it lol and i wouldnt call that a beater... Thats more like someones cruiser.

Keep up the good work

Well starting to fit the Engine between the rails and so far the only thing in the way is the stock GTO headers. I have some Sanderson Headers coming to solve this problem pulse I'll gain some room for my steering.

100_5296.jpg

Im making my own Engine Mounts so I can use the stock GTO rubber mount. I like over kill so I made mine out of 5/16 plate. First thing was the fun part, cutting them out.
100_5320.jpg

100_5321.jpg

100_5322.jpg

100_5325.jpg

100_5330.jpg

100_5329.jpg

Now that the mounts are done we put the engine back In and made the trans cross member. The back of the trans lines up really good but a little trimming will have to be done to get the 3In drive shaft In.

46pontiac018.jpg

46pontiac023.jpg

I had to trim some of the Inner fender to clear the a/c and the upper control arm hats. I bent the metal up like stock, all I need to do is weld it and smooth it out.
46pontiac027.jpg

46pontiac026.jpg

46pontiac025.jpg

After that was done we put the front back on to see if the measurments we gave FatMan was right. Beleave it or not the front end went back on without doing anything. Nothing had to be cut or tweaked it sat right back were the Radiator support bolts up. Even the bumper fit right on. The rear is next.
46pontiac030.jpg

46pontiac031.jpg

46pontiac034.jpg

46pontiac036.jpg

46pontiac038.jpg

We used that same Fatman's stub in my dad's 48 Pontiac. It's been in there for years with no problems. Sits nice too.

Man thats a great looking car. Im not sure if my customer will do the 15" steel wheels or the 17" yet.

Every time I get more stuff from Fatman it just keeps getting better. Hey what Rear End setup did you guys run?

9" Ford with a parallel 4 bar and coilovers. Wheels are 18X8 rear, 17X7 front. I'm usually not too much for the bigger diameter wheels but the car is so large, it was begging for them. Engine is a 454 BBC.

Very nice! I would love to 4 bar this one.

Well not a lot got done on the 46 today, but the new headers are here and on the car. Really opended up alot of room for the steering and clears the stock engine mounts.

46pontiac048.jpg

46pontiac052.jpg

46pontiac049.jpg

I also killed some time to see if the old paint would buff out alittle. I think for the age it will look good on the old car. You can see on the right what the paint looked like before buffing, on the left much better.
46pontiac040.jpg

46pontiac041.jpg

46pontiac042.jpg

Worked on the steering today. Ended up having to use three joint to clear the headers but everything cleared really good. Now I can move to the rear end.

46pontiac072.jpg

46pontiac071.jpg

Got the column cut down and finished today. Here is how I did mine, Im sure there are other ways but this worked out great for what I needed.

First I cut the stock column tube down and the steering rod.
46pontiac074.jpg

Next I bought a bearing for a go-kart axle for the bottom of my column. It measures 1 3/8 O.D. and the Inside hole is 3/4 so works great for steering rods.
46pontiac075.jpg

Next I ran a new ground wire for the horn. I even drilled the bottom of the column and used the stock bracket to hold the wire so it looks stock. Then I pressed In my bearing and made the end of my steering rod Into a DD rod so the New Joint would fit.
46pontiac077.jpg

46pontiac081.jpg

46pontiac080.jpg

Now with it on the car. All thats left is to make my new floor plate and line the bottom up.
46pontiac082.jpg

Latest posts

Back