46 Pontiac 4 door

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just found the thread. Nice work. Should be a cool cruiser. [P

Thanks, I can't wait to take it out on its first test drive...lol

Today I finished welding the Inner fenders up to keep them semi stock looking. I dont think many people will notice I cut them open more.
46pontiac090.jpg

46pontiac089.jpg

I also worked on the Sway Bar for the front. I made some plates with the nuts weld to them so it would be easier to Install them when the Front sheet metal is on the car. O and they will not spin on you when taking them off. I'll paint them later when I do final tear down.
46pontiac097.jpg

46pontiac100.jpg

46pontiac103.jpg

46pontiac101.jpg

I had to extend the rack out because Pontiac is wider. FatMan provides this part. All you have to do is take apart the Right side of the Rack and Install the Extender. Then put back together.
46pontiac086.jpg

46pontiac087.jpg

46pontiac088.jpg

Got home with the engine no problems thanks for all the help and the good directions. I'll let you know when I get it into something. Keep up the good work, the car is even better in person.[dr
jonathan

Got home with the engine no problems thanks for all the help and the good directions. I'll let you know when I get it into something. Keep up the good work, the car is even better in person.[dr
jonathan

Great Im glad you made it ok. Yea send me some pictures when you get it in something, Im sure the guy Im building the 46 for would love to see too.

Here's some updates on the car too. All the stuff came In from Chassis Engineering so now I can put the rear In. Ive been cutting the old hangers off and Im also going to box the frame In the rear.
46pontiac107.jpg

46pontiac108.jpg

46pontiac109.jpg

46pontiac110.jpg

Sorry I have taken so long to post updates, Its been busy In the shop. I've got the back of the frame boxed and the spring Installed. I even boxed In part of the X-frame so the front spring hanges would be suported better. I set the car down on jack stands to see how she was going to look. I push and 9In wheel under the back with a 245 just for fun too!!

eds71cut051.jpg

eds71cut052.jpg

eds71cut054.jpg

eds71cut049.jpg

eds71cut057.jpg

eds71cut058.jpg

Well the rear end is in for good with the new 3.73 posi. I also put a 17" mock up wheel under the back to see how much room Im going to have. After the customer looked at the bigger wheels he has decide to run them, just dont know what style yet. we also pulled the old heater box out from under the drivers seat. This left a big hole in the floor so we made a new block off panel. When the car comes back later to get body work we can weld this panel In.

46pontiac119.jpg

46pontiac120.jpg

46pontiac121.jpg

46pontiac124.jpg

46pontiac123.jpg

46pontiac132.jpg

46pontiac129.jpg

Well the drive shaft is done and will be painting it tomorrow. I also got the rear disk brakes from Right Stuff today. Every thing bolted right up to the car with no problems. They will be getting paint tomorrow as well. I'll have better pictures later.

100_5541.jpg

100_5542.jpg

Got the Brake pedal kit Installed today. Also got the new floor column holder made. Welded up all the Holes in the fire wall that are not going to be needed. Then got every thing striped of the frame and just about ready to paint. Then the wiring can start :D.

46pontiac134.jpg

46pontiac136.jpg

46pontiac137.jpg

46pontiac135.jpg

46pontiac140.jpg

46pontiac141.jpg

46pontiac143.jpg

Better debur that brake bracket, looks like a knee slicer!!!

Great work!!![cl[P

Hello!! This is mock up.

Great Reply!! [cl

Moving on, we sprayed the front half of the frame and fire wall today just to make it a little more pleasing for the customer. We should be able to get every thing bolted back on for the final time tomorrow.

46pontiac145.jpg

46pontiac146.jpg

Steering support

RAW

Awesome build and you do excellent work. You may want to talk with Borgeson or whoever you go the steering components from. On a "three coupling" it is normally recommended that you add another bearing support to the bottom D shaft. That give you beeter support at the pivot areas and takes any wobble out of the steering. Good luck on the rest of the build.

RAW

Awesome build and you do excellent work. You may want to talk with Borgeson or whoever you go the steering components from. On a "three coupling" it is normally recommended that you add another bearing support to the bottom D shaft. That give you beeter support at the pivot areas and takes any wobble out of the steering. Good luck on the rest of the build.

Thanks for bringing that up 49bourbon, I have talked to Borgeson and they recommend that In a 3 joint system it is best to locate the shaft support as close to the center u-joint as possible. If one of the shafts is significantly longer than the other, it is best to locate the support on the longer shaft. So thats how I set mine up.

Today we replaced the belts, seals, and spark plugs before we set the LS1 in for what I hope to be the last time. We also reinstalled the front IFS and the front sheet metal. Looks like we are going to half to bring the front down some but other then that Its coming together pretty good. We put another set of 17 TTII's on with diffrent tire's to help see what the final tire will be. I think will will be going bigger on front and rear, lots of room for more tire.

46pontiac155.jpg

46pontiac148.jpg

46pontiac150.jpg

46pontiac153.jpg

46pontiac154.jpg

100_5598.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back