47 Chevy Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnoxVegas

I'm starting a build on my 47 Chevy truck. I think I'll do something that nobody has ever thought to do before......I'm gonna put the body on a S-10 frame!! [cl Now I know what you are thinking, "This guy must be a genius!!", but no I'm just a regular guy like everyone else. :cool: Don't expect me to go blazing fast on this build, it takes time to be this original. I will try to post pics as I make progress though. Since I have most of the major parts already I hope to have this thing running/driving before the Redneck Rumble this year. Here are a couple of pics of what I am starting with.

Please note: This person is prone to using sarcasm (just in case you didn't figure that out already)[ddd

Attachments

• 0426110725a.jpg
    0426110725a.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 82
  • 0426110725.jpg
    0426110725.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 0426110724.jpg
    0426110724.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 79
Probably going to do something wild and crazy like use a small block Chevy and automatic trans! :eek:

Sarcasm is my native language

What are your plans besides the s10 frame?

Pretty much typical.....er ..uh ..I mean totally original ideas. I'll lower it a bit, fix the rust holes (I hate seeing body panels flap when you drive down the road). I'm thinking about making a narrow and short wood bed (with sides) and exhaust stacks to somewhat fill the space between the cab and rear tires. I'm also considering making the rear window opening an oval shape. I'd like to chop the top but I think that will wait till after I get everything else done and drive it before I chop it.

Probably going to do something wild and crazy like use a small block Chevy and automatic trans! :eek:

Sarcasm is my native language

DUDE!! It's like your inside my head! Yup, that is what I am going to use. Why you ask? Because I've got a SBC and a trans sitting at home waiting. I still have the original drive line in the 47 but it hasn't been started for 15-20 years so I don't think that I want to use it.

Looks like that ol truck was somebodies project once upon a time..sounds like a good plan..keep us posted with lots of pix..:D

Looks like that ol truck was somebodies project once upon a time..sounds like a good plan..keep us posted with lots of pix..:D

The truck was owned by a 80 year old man that got it from his Dad. His Dad bought it new in AZ and eventually drove it to TN. It has sat in the weeds since 1965. I don't know why they took the bed off, I think to make a trailer, but it sat on the ground till it rusted away. Other then the bed being gone everything else is still there as far as I can tell. I even found a hand pump type of fire extinguisher that came with the truck when it was new. I moved in to my current house a couple of years ago and started asking to buy this truck as soon as I saw it. After getting to know each other for two years he finally offered to sell me the truck because he said he believes that I will put it back on the road and his Dad would have wanted to see it driving again. That is one of the reasons that I don't want too get to crazy with chopping the top right away. I want to take the old guy for a ride in it while it still looks like he is used to seeing it. Hopefully it doesn't rain this weekend and I can get started fitting the body to the new frame!

There used to be a ton of old metal in them hills of Tennessee, not so sure how much is left after scrap prices went up. Nice to see you're saving one. Hope to see it in person some day...my dad lives in Anderson County, so I get up that direction a couple times a year. Glad he retired close to the Smokies.

You mean it's not cool to have metal panels flap in the wind? [S

Last edited:
Noah, If I throw a rock from my front porch it would land in Anderson county! lol Mine is the last house in Knox county on my road.
Give me a yell when you come visit your Dad and I'd be more than happy to sit around kick lies and tell tires with ya.

I have been doing the same thing, 1954 GMC 5 window on a 92 S10 frame, SBC with T5 tranny. Lots of work and a pain fabricating parts to make things fit/work. You can see my photos on photobucket if you are interested: http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac225/tuhll/53Build/

There are other pictures in that album of other trucks I have bought as they sat before moved. Good luck.

Solid looking trucks. How many of these trucks do you have?!?!lol

I've got my S-10 frame home and took the fenders,inner fenders, radiator and support, grill off of the 47. This weekend I'll get the cab moved over to the S-10 frame. So far I have been pretty surprised at how many bolts have backed out with out much trouble. I thought that I'd be grinding and torching most of them but I've only had to get tough with a couple of them. This is going easier than I thought it would so far.

Pics to follow soon.

Here are a couple of pics of the deconstruction. I found a few more rust holes, broke a few bolts, remembered why I love my grinder so much, and did mortal combat with a few nests of wasps....

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 46
  • inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Low side.JPG
    Low side.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 53
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 58
I have been traveling for work for the past couple months so work on the worlds most original truck has come to a screeching halt. I finally got to get some work done this past weekend. I got my neighbors to help me move the cab to the S-10 frame. It is SOOOOOOO nice to have friends with tractors. That made the job WAY easier!

Attachments

• DSC02729.jpg
    DSC02729.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC02730.jpg
    DSC02730.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 46
You gonna make it to Lebanon in Sept? I'm working on my 55 trying to get it together enough and somewhat safe enough to take.

I'll definitely be there but I'm not so sure about the truck. My plan was to have it ready for the Rumble but I wasn't expecting to be out of town b/c of work for two months. That really killed my schedule. If the truck isn't ready by then I'll just ride my motorcycle. I'd like to see it in the show anyway. I've still got some time so I'll just have to hustle and see how much I can get done.[;)

Latest posts

Back