47 IH KB-2 axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer

I was hoping to use the original axle but want to upgrade to disc-brakes, the original spindles feel really good so I was wondering where to find possible parts to match. Speedway's 49-54 chevy look very close but I am doubting they will work. Anyone have experience with IH axles. Thanks, farmer

Head on over to oldihc.org
Front suspension on kb's l and r series have been discussed there in great detail. I have a 50/51 and I understand it to be the same axle as yours. A member named wildmanbill has a write up and pics on putting disc brakes on that axle using pieces from speedway and the local auto shop. There is also another fellow who put a 48-52 ford pickup axle under his. A few have used the 73-87 chevy truck cross member that is a near bolt in.

Thanks dodge41, never thought about that site. I got a chev front end with the truck when I bought it but just can't get myself to like the look after sein all the straight axle trucks on this site. To many photos and Ideas floatin around here sure makes it hard to stick with a build plan. Currently suffering from Rat Rod Attention Deficit Disorder:D

Yep, doin the usual chop top, shortened bed, open fendered and tryin to figure out a suicide air front end. I was thinkin about makin large radius rods connected to front axle and then tie the air bags to them under the front of frame. Just worried a little bit with leverage on the radius rods from the weight of front end.

Ya look up wildmanbill on there, his posts will show you all the part numbers you need to put on disc brakes. You may want to look at doing a quarter elliptical front suspension if you are going to use that axle.

I don't know if this will help, but you can read it anyway, what the heck else ya got to do?:) I was trying to get some info and a guy sent me this, he seems to know a lot about Int's.

"I changed my front axle to 1947 ford pickup direct bolt in i did not have to modify anything. i also went to disc brakes. but if you were going to change to a ford axle in your truck and you want to keep the stock steering box you would have to use a 1948 to 52 axle they steer the same as the 41 to 49 ihc. the 42 to 47 ford steer different all thought the axle is the same width from 42 to 52. also you will have to drill holes in the axle for the ihc shocks on the ford axle. the ford axle centering pins holes are a half in wider than the ihc but like i sad the ford axle bolts right in. i have attached some photos of my truck and the ford axle swap. you can buy the disc brake convershion from speedway motors for under $300 and it will give you the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. but if you use the stock ford pickup axle you will get 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. the kit comes with chrsyler rotors mid size pre 79 gm clalipers claiper brackets bearing adapters brake pads and all the needed hareware all you have to due is buy the rubber brake lines. also the ford king pins can be bought anywere for between $20.00 and $30.00 dollars ."

I checked out wildmanbills post about upgradeing to disc-brakes...excellent, thats the kinda posts that saves days of hair-pullin in a build. THANKS again for the link dodge41. All I need now is to find one more spindle hub, new bearings and I think I have enough to put it together with the speedway parts for under $500 compared to a new axle and brake kit at $960.
spectreboy, thanks for the info, there is 3 or 4 42-47 fords sittin in the weeds on neighbors farm so at least I got a back-up plan started.

No problem at all, hope it goes together nice for ya.
On that 42-52 ford axle as posted above I have read about that. The ford axle CAN be dropped, but the IH can NOT be dropped due to the shock mount hole being in the part of the axle that is stretched. It would oblong it out if it was stretched to lower it.
The ford axle is so close only 1/4 difference on each side so you springs will be at an angel, but I guess it still works. Just throwing that out there in case you might need to know.

Latest posts

Back