47 Willys Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizturbd

It all started with a local add "47 Chopped Willys" it caught my attention but I blew it off and the guy wanted more than I wanted to give. A few months later (last week) The add reappeared. This time the price had dropped A LOT. I bought it.

"The Truck"
47 Willys Truck the top already chopped...windshield opening is 8". A Handmade 4' bed, an import 2wd frame (Nissan/Toyota/Isuzu?) and a complete 53 front clip.

"The Build Plans"
I would like to use the existing frame (modified). I will be using the handmade bed and original tailgate. I will be adding some steel to the bed to suit my taste and era correct looks. Suspension hasn't been decided yet but coilovers in the rear and buggy leaf up front are not out of the question. I would like to move the front axle forward the grille. I want to use Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear axle. The front axle will be stripped of diff internals. I want the illusion of a 4wd the thing Jeep/Willys is known for. Interior will be very simple and basic, exterior will be left basically as-is.

Here are some shots of it along with a pic of my rendering. This will not be a fast build, it is going to take me some time to build this....please be patient as this is my 1st rod. I've build MANY 4wd's with big tires etc... It feels as if I am going backwards. :p

Attachments

2 KB · Views: 244
  • 0628091833.jpg
    0628091833.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 0629091729.jpg
    0629091729.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 0630092036.jpg
    0630092036.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 0630092037.jpg
    0630092037.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 63
Since today was a day off work I went to a salvage yard a friend owns. I was on the hunt for 1 particular thing. A Slant 6 and a 904 trans. He has them. I need to go back and pull them out so I can start on a little TLC for them. The car has been there for at least 15 yrs. as far as he can remember. He also has a Willys tuck but there isn't much for me to use. He also has plenty of donor vehicles that have the axles I want to use. Maybe next week I will be able to retrieve some parts.

I will keep you all informed.

Stay away from the dana 30/35 combo.
If you do run a stripped dana 30 in the front remember you will need to keep the stub shafts in the front spindles or your front wheels will fall off fast.

In the rear, if the frame is stock width a dana 35 will not be wide enough to work. willys trucks and panels had a really wide rear axle and a narrow front axle. The dana 35 is probably the easiest axle to break IMHO.

Stay away from the dana 30/35 combo.
If you do run a stripped dana 30 in the front remember you will need to keep the stub shafts in the front spindles or your front wheels will fall off fast.

In the rear, if the frame is stock width a dana 35 will not be wide enough to work. willys trucks and panels had a really wide rear axle and a narrow front axle. The dana 35 is probably the easiest axle to break IMHO.

The 35 is the weak point, I agree. However I won't be running a high HP engine. (Slant 6 and a 904 is the plan) I didn't even think about width until you brought it up. Good point. The stub shafts will be staying if I run it. The bed is factory width and I have the rear fenders I was going to install.

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate all I get.

Nice avatar ;)

Dana 44?

Does your friend have a Scout II you could source the axles from? After '72 they have 44's front and rear, and the V8's had tall gears that would help keep your highway rpms down - Binder engines redline really low ;)

Since today was a day off work I went to a salvage yard a friend owns. I was on the hunt for 1 particular thing. A Slant 6 and a 904 trans. He has them. I need to go back and pull them out so I can start on a little TLC for them. The car has been there for at least 15 yrs. as far as he can remember. He also has a Willys tuck but there isn't much for me to use. He also has plenty of donor vehicles that have the axles I want to use. Maybe next week I will be able to retrieve some parts.

I will keep you all informed.

gotta love the leanin tower of power!!!

Latest posts

Back