48-54 chevy questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighroder

Well I posted this earlier on kb but no one has helped.
I'm picking up a couple of 2 ton chevys one is titled and its a 52 I want to use the stock front axle and wherla these aren't the 2 piece or split rim style are they? Who sells stuff for rebuilding the drums? The rear axle is a 2 speed how does that work? Vacuum? And would it hold up to about 700ft pounds of torque its gunna have a cummins motor thanks for any helps

Let's see. I have a 54 chevy 6100 2ton. The wheels are 20" and are 3 piece splits. As for the front brakes, I was able to get parts fron local NAPA, wheel cyl., seals, shoes, and spring kit. The rear was a whole different story. I just replaced it with a 1ton ford.

I called napa and they said only the wheel cylinders they carry. And what
Do you mean 3 piece split rims? I'm talking about the rims that have a locking mechanism in it and ppl kept getting killed by them exploading

And what
Do you mean 3 piece split rims?

2 piece have a rim and a locking ring,3 piece have a rim a flange ring and then a locking ring.

Most 2 speed rears use an electric motor mounted on the differential to switch the the lo-hi .

Chev 3-piece rims aren't the bad ones, it's old Ford 2-piece ones that are killers.
Your 2 speed will be vacuum operated, Chev kept that type into the '60's.
Be aware that there are two different 10-bolt Chev wheel patterns when you go looking for drums, etc. Measure carefully!
I would go with a newer rear end and a matching front end with 8 bolt wheels. The old rear might handle the power, but they are pretty low-speeded, even in High range. The axles are the weak point in old Chev trucks. Very hard to find the right ones, they used too many different types.

I don't know if I've ever seen a 8 bolt straight axle

AD-3800's and some 3600's have 8 lugs.

RF_Fender.jpg

5 and 10 bolt big Chevy Wheels

I had several 2 and 2.5 ton Chevs over the years. Most had 5 bolt fronts, 10 bolt rears. Same wheels, just 1/2 the lugs and studs. Brake parts are not hard to find. Most of the old ones will have narrow 20" lock ring wheels, although I have found some of the old 2 piece wheels (Dangerous, never use them!). They usually ran 7.50 or 8.25 X 20 tube type tires.
Rears are heavy, reasonably strong. Low geared. Axles are normally splined on both ends, the visible bolts are just the retaining cover (full floating rears). Brakes are simple juice brakes, many have two cylinders per wheel.
Biggest problem they had was the lugs are flat, no taper to center them. Wheels loosened up a lot, lug holes got wallowed out.
You could use the front axle, then use a 1 ton rear and make some wheel adapters to allow the same wheels to be used on buth ends.

try an isuzu cab over or a chevy 3500 hd from 90-01. The 3500hd's had 5lug and 10 lug wheels and were 19.5" regular rims (not split). The isuzu's had 5 and 10 lugs with a 16" rim. They do use a weird double lug in the rear and a large lug nut in the fron though. And they were left and right hand threaded depending on what side they were on. If you want to run a modern 8 lug straight front axle then look at ford F450's and some 2wd F350's. They were a straight axle just like the old truck but have 8 lugs and disc brakes. also the 3500hd chevys had a straight front axle as well with leaf springs.

Latest posts

Back