48 Desoto 4dr

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
48 desoto 4dr

Requesting a couple of answers/guidance here:

1) I know there are companies out there that sell seat belt shoulder harnesses, good quality items. What I'm trying to do is to keep the costs at a "starvation" low amount. If there is a shoulder harness/seat belt combination from a late model car that I could use with little (if any) modification, I'm all ears. I know that someone is going to say "Do not cut corners on safety items". I'd agree with them. What I'm looking for is something from a late (last 5 yrs) model car that would still have a quality life (no pun intended) left in them.

2) I want to use the stock steering wheel & shift lever. Our car only came with a quasi automatic (Fluid drive), so the shift lever functions on the usual "H" pattern of most manual transmissions. What I want to do is to keep the original look, yet have the shift lever operate a 727 Torqueflite trans. What can you suggest as far as detents (on the column) for each gear selected. I don't think IDIOT in Tecumseh, Michigan has anything like this.

3) This "tank" of a car is extremely heavy. I'd like to shave some pounds where ever possible. The front seat (frame alone) weighs in at close to 110 lbs, not counting the cushions. Any suggestions out there for a lighter front seat? I don't want a split seat, I'd like to keep the original "appearance". It need not be power.
No, Im not trying to make a light weight out of it, but 185 lbs for a seat is a bit too much.

BTW: Thanks for the Milodon suggestion for the oil pump end plate. It works fine.

Thanks for the tip. I purchased their remote oil filter unit that removes the oil filter mounting on the bottom plate of the oil pump. The problem I'm left with is the AN fittings that it takes. I had wanted to use (either) 5/16's or 3/8's line to the remote filter on top of the engine like the (OLD) Hemi's used to have. The AN fittings are #12 and it looks like they seal with an "O" ring on the plate. I would prefer to install a brass 90 degree fitting and run my lines upward from them. I don't want to use braided lines. Any suggestions?

The Milodon pump uses ORB fittings. These are not pipe threads but are designed to seal with an O ring but still readily available to adapt to whatever you need. Most any hydralic supply shops will have what you need or can make you a custom hose that incorporates the JVC (same angle as AN) flare. The Milodon pump makes a lot of pressure and flows a lot of oil so be careful that you don't use to small a line to your filter .. stick to -10 (1/2) or -12 (5/8) lines. My Milodon pump (dual external pickup lines) makes about 75 psi at idle and over 100 psi at full pressure with 25w50 racing oil and -12 lines to a System 1 remote filter. The filters are available at http://www.goodvibesracing.com/system_1_oil_filter.htm and are made to be cleaned and reused so you only buy the filter once.

Latest posts

Back