50 F1 wiring help....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCROCHET

Ok guys. Here is where I am on my project. I have a 50' ford F1. It has a ford 351 from an el rancho. It came with 6v wiring and have since removed it and bought a ez-wiring 12v kit. starting running wires to the areas that they go. Lights im fine on wiring. but when it comes tot he motor i am clueless.

Does any one have a wiring diagram of how the motor and ignition and starter solenoid is wired together? Im clueless on the motor and want to make sure I get it right. any help or diagram or even pictures would help out.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ignition_diagram.jpg
    ignition_diagram.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 34
A diagram is going to be dependant on what type and brand of ignition you plan to run, and type of starter system you plan to run. By starter system, I mean an old style Ford separate solenoid system or a solenoid on starter system. If you plan on using stock Ford systems, you can use diagrams from the era of systems that you are using. I can help with that if you give me the needed info.

im using the old style, a separate starter solenoid. and the alternator is NOT a 1 wire either. the ez wiring kit has two wires for the alternator(power and exciter) not sure how to wire that either...

It came with 6v wiring and have since removed it and bought a ez-wiring 12v kit. starting running wires to the areas that they go. Lights im fine on wiring. but when it comes tot he motor i am clueless.

Does any one have a wiring diagram of how the motor and ignition and starter solenoid is wired together? Im clueless on the motor and want to make sure I get it right. any help or diagram or even pictures would help out.

Instructions & a wiring diagram should have come with the wiring kit! If not, call or e-mail them for it!

Beercan

I'll add to this. Since you are running a Ford separate solenoid, use an original Motorcraft solenoid. Pull one off any old Ford truck. The aftermarket ones are crap and tend to stick. Went through 3 new ones before I went to the junk yard and got a reliable one. There are 3post and 4post solenoids. Either can work.

Are you using an aftermarket distributor/coil? Original? What year? Is it a DuraSpark system?

I agree with Sam, I've heard about this before. I also agree with rustybeercan about instructions and a diagram, also is there a provision in the harness for a voltage regulator ? Or are you supposed to use an alternator with the built-in regulator ?

thanks guys. Im headed up to the truck now. I have found some diagrams online that are helping me. ill let you guys know how it goes. the ez wiring came with with general instructions but very vague.

well didnt get much wiring done. but got a lil bit. more focused on the rear drum brakes and getting everything checked for leaks and finished up the master cylinder install and all lines to the rear brakes.

Well thanks for the help guys. Got it wired up this weekend. turns over and starts with the key.(major problem was the cab was not grounded very well, it is now) Now just need to run lights and signals. the hard part is out of the way.

Thanks for all the help and diagrams. they all helped get it wired correctly

Latest posts

Back