50 International

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did get those doors so now I have really cut some work down. Im heading out tonite to check out a welder, hopefully everything works out. Once I get the doors home Ill get some pictures up. I picked up my heads and intake from the machine shop this morning. man do they look nice! Ill be putting it all together tonite. Im going to really start checking things off the list!

Help??

LOL no pics again! I got the heads put back on along with the intake and waterpump. This is where the questions come in. I put the new intake on that is for a 4bbl carb and it wont fit with the road draft tube in. So I took it out. The new intake has a vacuum port and I am wondering if this is what replaced the road draft tube?? What do I hook the vacuum port to? I was going to just block it off til I noticed that I may need it. Plus what do I do with the hole in the back of the block now? Im not really sire how it was all hooked up in the first place since i got the motor out of car. Im a little lost?? :confused::confused::confused:

Ok so maybe i lied. I have pictures of the seats. No real thrill there but its something right??

Oh ya and no deal on the welder either. Im still on the look out!

Attachments

• Rat Rod.jpg
    Rat Rod.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 17
At a stand still

Well I have to pick up a set of new valve covers. Im kinda bummed about that but its ok. No welder yet. Im still waiting on a buddy to get ahold of me. And I am so p'd right now about the front brakes! I ordered a kit for the front end. Well the caliper brackets are wrong and the rotors are wrong and its the holiday weekend. I really wanted to get them done. I can make the brackets work and I will but the rotors are a no go unless I change spindles. either way its more money to spend and time to wait for the crap to come in. Its like I hit a brick wall at a hundred miles an hour. Man I am so frustrated, plus it doesnt help that I really have no idea what im doing and nothing comes with any instructions. UGH!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Never trust the cap on a spray can!!

So today Im spraying my motor. I had it all primed up and decided to start painting it black. Well I finished up a can and started on another. It was a frash can of gloss black engine paint. 2 swipes and I notice WOW neon Green! well that aint right. So I had to go to the store tonite and pick up another can.

Well I didnt get anyfarther on the brakes either. I took out the two rear wheel cylinders only to notice that the new ones I got were wrong. Plus there isnt anything in the rear. I have nothing to reference. I need to find a break down of parts and where they go. I usually have something to go from but not this time.

Well the cab is all scuffed. I am going to finish filling the dents tomorrow and back to the auto parts store to try and find those extra brake parts. No new news on the front end either. Ill post up pics of my problem.

Anybody got a picture of how the rear brakes are supposed to look? maybe a 3d breakdown??

Attachments

• Rat Rod 064.jpg
    Rat Rod 064.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Rat Rod 063.jpg
    Rat Rod 063.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Rat Rod 059.jpg
    Rat Rod 059.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Rat Rod 062.jpg
    Rat Rod 062.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Rat Rod 065.jpg
    Rat Rod 065.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 15
More pictures!

Attachments

• Rat Rod 060.jpg
    Rat Rod 060.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Rat Rod 061.jpg
    Rat Rod 061.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Rat Rod 066.jpg
    Rat Rod 066.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Rat Rod 067.jpg
    Rat Rod 067.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 15
Well I messed up and didnt think about the position of the cam in reference to the timing. Well i opened uo the motor and saw that I was only about a tooth off. Easy fix. Im just glad that I didnt totally mess anything up.

I painted and mounted my front shocks. Now I need to pull the rears and paint them too.

I also got the correct set of wheel cylinders, finally. and got those put in. Tuesday I am heading to the junkyard to get a good look at an assembled rear end and take the parts I need. Hopefully i can get all of the brakes hung next week.

I am still at a standstill on the cab. No welder yet. I am going to learn to weld this weekend. So maybe Im going to bite the bullet and buy my own. No new pictures but soon.

DMW. Hey thanks! I am totally a visual guy. The black and whites ork but full color is so much better. that gives me a really good idea!

Hey rockb1 - IMO you should bite the bullet and get yourself a decent welder. You'll be glad you did! Maybe see if you can find a good used one in Craigslist? Lots of guys selling thier toys these days....

Hey rockb1 - IMO you should bite the bullet and get yourself a decent welder. You'll be glad you did! Maybe see if you can find a good used one in Craigslist? Lots of guys selling thier toys these days....

I have been looking, not too much around me. I really cant buy a 220 welder right now. I only have a 60 amp service at the house and I think if I plug 220 into it I just may have some sparks, lol. Plus if I upgraded the service on the house Id have to dig a trench to the garage and re wire it up. In time ill do it but not today. I can always buy a 110 use the heck out of it and maybe do some work for friends, that way when it comes time to upgrade Ill have this thing paid for and friends to help me dig!

Hey I thought that too about a 220. I live in a 1925 house with original wiring, only 100 amp service and that has to run the central air, which uses 1/2 of the juice (50 amps and runs ALL the time down here). I bought a 187 amp Hobart, 220v. Turns out the thing only draws 22 amps at 220v. I don't completely understand all the elec. mumbo jumbo, but basically if you raise the volts, you only need moderate amps. I had a crappy 110v 85amp welder that would pop my 15 amp circuit breaker and couldn't weld jack!! I think you'll be surprised what you can run on 60 amps. IMO don't waste your money on a 110, for a little more you can get a 220. Basically, if you can run a clothes dryer (35 amps), you can easily run a big 220v welder. And then you can build anything!:cool:

Funny thing is I dont have a 220 outlet anywhere in my house. everything is gas. Ya that gets expensive. I would still have to dig a trenh from the house to the garage and have someone wire in the 220. I know I couldnt do it, lol. Im going to talk to a ouple of people about wiring tonite, so maybe its easier than I think!

hey if you want to get a welder a good quality 110 will do ALOT of welding...i've had a miller 110v model 130(?) that i've used for 15 years of body work with the only thing replaced was gas and wire!!!! it wouldn't be anyone's 1st choice for building a frame but with a little knowledge and the heat/wire settings correct you can weld up to 3/16" material with 1/4" even possible(which,btw, is what alot of people are using on these 2x3 tube frames-once again not anyone's 1st choice but possible)

anyway a good quality 110 welder will do what any hobbyist needs, and if not an experienced welder-operator, do you really want to weld your critical stuff yourself or trust it to a pro?!

hope that helps....
HRP

HRP, Hey man thanks! Thats what i was thinking too. Im just going to do some patch panels and replace the floor in my cab. I did find a really nice Hobart today and I think that is the direction that I am going. I figure once i get more experience under my belt Ill upgrade my garage and welder. Heck I dropped my first weld today. After a few runs I did great! Im really excited to do more.

glad i could help! i would mention that i strongly recommend the gas attatchment and 75/25 gas...stay away from flux-core wire for body work
and i think hobart is a pretty reputable brand-they better be!! that's the brand of my plasma cutter i just recently aquired..

Latest posts

Back