500 Cadillac engine?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Ford

Has a blue oval on his cape!
I bought a 1974 cadillac engine with 75,000 original miles on it. Its a 500ci, There was no tranny and i am wondering what are my options for a tranny? Also i was wondering a horsepower and torque rating?
Thanks, Ryan:)

The pics!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 25
  • caddy1.jpg
    caddy1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 14
  • caddy2.jpg
    caddy2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 23
210hp at 3600 rpm

360 pounds of torque at 200rpm

TH400 transmission, but I'm not sure if it uses the BOP 400 or the Chevy 400.

Last edited:
Well, the mid 70's ones were detuned a little from the late 60's/early 70's versions, but are still no slouch. You figure, they moved a car weighing slightly less than the Queen Mary pretty well, so in a lighter hot rod, they will do great. They do like to drink gas, but with the proper gears in the rear, even that won't be too bad.

Downside is that speed and dress up stuff is not as available as, let's say a sbc, and costly when it is, but the idea is to keep it pretty stock and just enjoy a torquey, smooth powerplant that you almost can't kill.

Looks like a good find you have there, I would use it in heartbeat.

Don

The Cad used a BOP TH400.
The Torque & HP for this engine in the mid 70's was way under rated for emissions, But I had a '75 500 in my '65 cad & it had so much torque it would just absolutly boil the tires.:cool:

Regards!

Latest posts

Back