50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have swapped body harnesses in Escalades and Caddy Devilles (up to the 2010's) and they look like a mess. Once you blow apart the engine harness it will look intimidating too! I suggest doing a nail board on a piece of ply wood. Then you can clamp each connector to a nail in the postion you want to ruyn it. Then it is just a matter of lengthening and shortening the wires to match. You can take a ton of wires out as well. The worst one I did was combining a 2004 6.0L chevy motor harness with a 1999 mustang AND kept all the gauges, ABS a/c etc. oh and it was turbo charged to boot! it also looked factory when we were done. About 40 hours into it though!:eek:

I've done a few as well, probably one of the least fun portions, but one of the most rewarding when you can take the time to re-route wiring and get most of it out of sight, I was planning on running the harness under the runners of the intake if I can and also hide a lot of the electronic stuff under a large-ish intake scoop I'm going to make out of an old tractor hood...:)

sometimes I really hate wiring. Especially in cars.

The worst part about me hating wiring....... I have a BS in electrical engineering [S [S [S

So DR when you planning on having all this done by?

Running driving by next summer, not fully complete however. Wiring isnt THAT bad, sheesh!

The goal was a rolling chassis by the end of summer, not sure that will happen, workload has gone through the roof at work.... Also had some daily driver issues, had to get a tensioner and a water pump today, but got that wrapped up tonight thankfully... Tomorrow need to go to the detroit greyhound terminal to pickup my grille shell, if the car wouldn't have broke down, I would have had it already.

Running driving by next summer, not fully complete however. Wiring isnt THAT bad, sheesh!

The goal was a rolling chassis by the end of summer, not sure that will happen, workload has gone through the roof at work.... Also had some daily driver issues, had to get a tensioner and a water pump today, but got that wrapped up tonight thankfully... Tomorrow need to go to the detroit greyhound terminal to pickup my grille shell, if the car wouldn't have broke down, I would have had it already.

I hate it when life gets in the way!!!! Hurry up and get it done! I want to see this baby cruisin!! If your not done till next summer I will probably have mine tore back apart by then! I have already dismantled it 3 times this summer! ;) Get a move on Woodward is just 3 weeks away!

I hate it when life gets in the way!!!! Hurry up and get it done! I want to see this baby cruisin!! If your not done till next summer I will probably have mine tore back apart by then! I have already dismantled it 3 times this summer! ;) Get a move on Woodward is just 3 weeks away!

AHAHAHAHAH woodward? not this year buddy!

Maybe next...

:mad:

Give it a shot, bet you can make it! [cl

I learned a long time ago I have a whole lot more fun building when I do NOT set deadlines for myself to have things done....

Anyhow, on to the pics of the grille shell... its very armored helm looking I think :D

Attachments

• 205258_3802219207828_806270394_n.jpg
    205258_3802219207828_806270394_n.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 61
  • 292989_3802220727866_1589173036_n.jpg
    292989_3802220727866_1589173036_n.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 483248_3802217847794_2059025522_n.jpg
    483248_3802217847794_2059025522_n.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 231
I learned a long time ago I have a whole lot more fun building when I do NOT set deadlines for myself to have things done....

Yes, Yes it is..........

Anyhow, on to the pics of the grille shell... its very armored helm looking I think :D

and Yes, yes it is.........

Saw in the latest issue of Rebel Rodz a coupe where the guy filled in the grill with a spider web design. That would probably look pretty awesome done up on there....

Yes, Yes it is..........

and Yes, yes it is.........

Saw in the latest issue of Rebel Rodz a coupe where the guy filled in the grill with a spider web design. That would probably look pretty awesome done up on there....

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

There will be no stupid spider webs... imho that crap is played out...
My idea is to make it look like a medieval helm...

I came up with some ideas for the front suspension, the control arm link bars are ordered, got some for the rear too, cause I needed some good rear control arm links.

I'll get some sketches posted maybe later, I am looking at how to shorten the length the axle will be in front of the engine, so that I can have my grille shell in front of the axle... if not I'm feeling like the front will be too long... going to be taking some measurements this weekend, and condensing everything so that I can shorten the wheelbase some.
Probably order some springs tomorrow as well.

Just wish we were not working crazy hours at work... not getting a lot done on the truck other than sketches...

ok, frame planning getting there...

Here is where I am at, got it chopped down to 139" wheel base...
mainly that is because of using quarter ellipticals, and 36" from the back of the cab to the centerline of the rear axle (estimated)

Attachments

• Frame Design Front.jpg
    Frame Design Front.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Frame Design Front2.jpg
    Frame Design Front2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 62
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

There will be no stupid spider webs... imho that crap is played out...
My idea is to make it look like a medieval helm...

Fine spoil sport. No need to yell at me. Sheesh.

Any way

You are longer in the back than I am too. I am 25" back of the cab to centerline of the rear. Just saying

Fine spoil sport. No need to yell at me. Sheesh.

Any way

You are longer in the back than I am too. I am 25" back of the cab to centerline of the rear. Just saying

Just the No part was yelling heh heh :p

Yea, I realize the wheelbase is a bit longer than expected, but with a transverse leaf, I would lose 15" off that length, I kinda like the look I have in my mind, I'll deal with the wheelbase... power steering will be my friend I guess lol

Going to cut up some pieces for the front today, tack it together, and then get it home to plan out the engine crossmember sometime this afternoon.

need to strengthen the engine hoist brackets I made too, AFTER I straighten them.... lol..

Well, made progress, front frame section all cut, and tacked together for testing.
Also straightened the engine hooks, but didnt get a chance to weld anything on those today.

Probably going to bring a scale that hooks to our crane at work and start weighing some of the rat to get a better idea of total weight so I can get the ride height closer to where I want it in theory before doing it in practice... I'll have some adjustment in the front, and I'll make the rear adjustable until I get it where I want it, then weld in place the spring mounts.

I ordered my control arms, and a few other things are coming with it, as it was a kit for a lifted jeep that was on clearance from Rough country... at least now I have the pivoting bushings on one end, and they are damn heavy duty, have some for the rear too which is good, I didnt like the freebie arms I got, no adjustment, stamped steel crap...

Probably going to bring a scale that hooks to our crane at work and start weighing some of the rat to get a better idea of total weight

I want to know what mine weighs, I think I am just going to put it on the trailer and take it to the local Pilot station. I know the weight of my truck and trailer so it will be easy to determine the rest. You get your wheelbase ironed out to what you want yet?

I want to know what mine weighs, I think I am just going to put it on the trailer and take it to the local Pilot station. I know the weight of my truck and trailer so it will be easy to determine the rest. You get your wheelbase ironed out to what you want yet?

Or just drive it there and weigh the truck :p

Yea about 5 posts up, I'm looking at 139" wheel base estimated. If memory serves me, in the 15-16 ft overall length range with the fins... but I will be test fitting soon to see if everything pans out as designed.

Found a set of through bumper exhaust covers for my bumper on the HAMB, waiting for a return PM from the guy...

I'll get some sketches posted maybe later, I am looking at how to shorten the length the axle will be in front of the engine, so that I can have my grille shell in front of the axle...

I think the grille will look fine behind the axle if you follow the sketch.

Latest posts

Back