50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess anything other than gasoline or diesel...

Since this truck is liquid injected propane, I'm covering my bases with insurance.
It is a DOT approved system... so I'm not sure what Haggerty's issue is, I didn't ask my Allstate agent what the issue was...

The issue I've heard about up here in the past with insuring propane-fueled vehicles is not the use or driving, or the efficiency. It's the storage of them. At one point I heard that certain insurance companies here would only insure them if you didn't store the vehicle in a garage, and there were other requirements I don't remember.

I believe in some cases if you stored the vehicle in your garage and something happened, then your home insurance was void.

Since Hagerty and other specialty vehicle insurance companies require you to store the vehicle inside, it might have something to do with that. with insurance companies it's all about their liability.

Meh... propane is still safer than gasoline leaking and pooling up.

Yes, inside, that would be an issue in a confined area. When I get everything hooked up, it will have the evap system for the purge system, and when inside, the manual valve is shut off which stops all fuel from coming out of the tank.

Allstate said they will insure it, so since both my car and home owners is through them, I should not have an issue should something ever happen. And I know that I am covered by being up front with the insurance company.

On a side note, got my title today, and I see the state cashed my check for the authentic plate registration, so that should be coming in the mail any day now too!

Realistically, I'm now legal once I sort out the fine details with the insurance company for value and what is required to show value.

The paperwork can be more frustrating than the build. Sure feels good when it's all done though.

Your truck needs to be seen and appreciated by the masses.

Thanks guys, yea its been a crappy process, but the paperwork end of it is about done.

Still a ton of finish work to do on the truck, but I can work on it while I drive it now that its legal...

Its probably going to the exhaust shop in two weeks to get it quieted down a bunch too.

Watched the title ordeal with interest. I am into the 2nd year of a 3 year waiting period with mine. After finding one previous owner through a testimony posting on an obituary page in Wyoming. He didn't have the title either. It had been found parked on the prairie.

Our state patrol did a VIN search and did not locate any dirt, so issued me the temporary registration, with a waiting period. Small risk to proceed perhaps, but rat rods have the advantage of looking unfinished to most...

BTW - What happened with your brake issues?

John L.

Classic Insurance

Car Fix on Velocity had Grundy Insurance on one of their shows.
I called them up when I was trying to figure out how much owning an antique would cost (no way you'd get anything that heavily modified licensed that way in KS, stock + safety upgrades...at least from appearance [;) ) & they were cheaper than Haggerty.
Haggerty was $131/yr & Grundy was $112/yr, this was for a 1966 Ford Station Wagon.

If you've got the Allstate thing all figured out, cool...just wanted to let everyone know about another option. I'll probably go with Grundy when I get the wife on-board with another vehicle. Going with our 'normal' insurance company was more than double the classic insurance...per MONTH.

-Chaz

I called them up when I was trying to figure out how much owning an antique would cost (no way you'd get anything that heavily modified licensed that way in KS, stock + safety upgrades...at least from appearance [;) ) & they were cheaper than Haggerty.
Haggerty was $131/yr & Grundy was $112/yr, this was for a 1966 Ford Station Wagon.

If you've got the Allstate thing all figured out, cool...just wanted to let everyone know about another option. I'll probably go with Grundy when I get the wife on-board with another vehicle. Going with our 'normal' insurance company was more than double the classic insurance...per MONTH.

-Chaz

If it's more than double wouldn't that be per month or per year? ;)

Yeah, there's a big advantage to going with a collector vehicle insurance company. They know you won't be driving your pride and joy every day and all year long.

-Chaz

This was one of the companies that I need to call and verify whether or not they will underwrite for propane powered vehicles, thanks for the heads up. Yes, if I leave full coverage on my truck for the year its $411/6mo but I can call up any time and put it in storage and its $7.00/mo. This is too much in my opinion, Haggerty would have been about $450 for the year at $25K agreed value which is more reasonable.

Watched the title ordeal with interest. I am into the 2nd year of a 3 year waiting period with mine. After finding one previous owner through a testimony posting on an obituary page in Wyoming. He didn't have the title either. It had been found parked on the prairie.

Our state patrol did a VIN search and did not locate any dirt, so issued me the temporary registration, with a waiting period. Small risk to proceed perhaps, but rat rods have the advantage of looking unfinished to most...

BTW - What happened with your brake issues?

John L.

The brakes ended up being a bad booster, once that was replaced (I think they sent me the wrong one originally but they would NOT take the old one back even for inspection to see what was wrong with it....)everything seemed to work fine!

Thanks for following my progress! I'm starting to get the wheels of motivation turning again, but not like I was earlier in the year.

I've been tinkering with little projects to keep me from going insane, but nothing like I need to do to finish the truck like I want. I've added the license plate mounting bracket, and some licence plate lights for legality. Last night I was looking at modifying the windshield wipers I took off the donor van. Its going to be a lot of work to make them work, and I have to find a set of super short blades or cut down a set to work, but it will use the factory motor and drive setup.

I looked at doing direct drive wipers, but there is literally no room to do that on the driver's side if I want to use the factory gauges from the E250 which I am going to be working on as well. I need to cut down the housing to make it more flat, and probably just throw a piece of lexan over it to keep the crap out of the gauges...

The other area I have been thinking about is the door handles, I'm planning on using the E250 inside door handles, but on the outside I plan on using something like this:
$_57.JPG

That way I can lock it, only thing I would have to worry about is something hitting it and popping the door open, but I'm thinking that is highly unlikely..

$450 is too much. I'm paying less than $200 a year for full coverage on my truck with appraised value of $22,500.

We have hagerty up here too, and they boast not needing an appraisal, but their rates are much higher. With hagerty I would pay around 400.

On those Blazer style "handles" I imagine lots of people playing with them trying to figure them out...

I agree, too much, but I'll be calling Grundy on monday to see if they will cover propane powered cars.

Today I tinkered a bit, things are taking too long to finish, but it is what it is I guess...

Got the license plate lights wiring finished and I got one inside door handle installed and functional, so no more coat hanger handle on the driver's side =P

Have had not a chance to call on insurance, but I did work on the passenger side inner door handle, so now I have two functional inside door handles. Also brought home some scrap lexan for making side glass templates and test fitting...

Progress is slow, but its progress... Next week its going for exhaust work, then its on!

I talked to Grundy today, at first they said no on the propane powered, but I pushed them a bit and mentioned it is a DOT system. So they said to do the application, and then forward the quote to them with pictures and what not. So we will see if they will underwrite the policy...

Grundy insurance is actually underwritten by Philadelphia Insurance, and they cover a lot of industrial applications, so I wouldn't think they would turn you down, especially since it's a DOT legal system. Somebody had to cover the van you took it out of, so somebody writes coverage on alternative fuel systems.

I've had Grundy for about 6 years now, never had anything but a couple of towing claims, but they paid quickly on them as soon as I sent them the receipt.

Latest posts

Back