50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know we've been chatting here and there off the board but I'm glad to have you back here too! Looking forward to updates on the truck and to your trike project. Congrats again on Baby Kai , he's a handsome dude! :cool:

I know we've been chatting here and there off the board but I'm glad to have you back here too! Looking forward to updates on the truck and to your trike project. Congrats again on Baby Kai , he's a handsome dude! :cool:

Thanks! He's eating like a pig now thankfully, we had a little worry for a day but all seems to be going well now.

More pics of some rat progress...

Attachments

• 20150529_195540.jpg
    20150529_195540.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20150529_205630.jpg
    20150529_205630.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20150529_211132.jpg
    20150529_211132.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20150529_211200.jpg
    20150529_211200.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 59
thanks again guys!

I sent in my order form for the last piece I need to get the truck back on the road, so hoping I will have that in a couple days. I'm also hoping to get the old fuel distribution block reworked as a spare if I can... more to come!

Got my new fuel distribution block, I am hoping to install that today.
Also got a dang sinus cold a few days ago, trying to beat that out of me first...

I should have the truck going again this week, there are a couple shows this coming weekend I intend on making it to.

Fuel distribution block went in no problems, got the tank back in last night.
Did a recalculation on the fuel capacity and I think its 48 gallons or so when full (80%)
I had 15 gallons in, and added 32 gallons and didn't hit the shutoff so I think we are close =)

Truck ran great today, burped out a little coolant, but figured out I have a failed o-ring at the pet cock drain valve for the radiator...

Congrats on the new addition to the family.
Glad to hear you've got your truck on the road again. It's always something
new and different running these old jalopies. Stay after it.

Got the overflow replaced with something I can easily clean out, the fire extinguisher has rust and other crap in it that I cannot get out without de-soldering the whole thing.
So one other o-ring to replace on the pet cock and should be good to go for tomorrow.

I drove the truck to work twice this week, no issues thankfully!
I applied for a regular plate, the authentic plate is still not in the secretary of state's system? No idea why that is... Anyhow, I settled on "LP RAT" for a plate, nice and simple.

I need to start a build thread on the trike soon... lots going on with that.

Eh, not getting the time to get on here as much as I should....

Been working on the parallel arm wiper setup for the driver's side, getting close to finishing that up. Insulated the cab some more as well with that attic heat barrier stuff that looks like silver bubble wrap, 2 layers made a huge difference!

Started on removing wiring I don't need. Eventually I'll have all the original fuse boxes out of the truck, but for now simplifying it down to just what need. Seems the rats nest of wires is a point to make for everyone looking at the truck so it has to go.

I got some pallet rack beams donated to my cause so the plan is to make a flat bed out of them that can be removed and swapped for the pontiac rear when I want. I need this truck to be a little more functional than it is, so the flat bed will be going on it as well as a hitch. I have air struts/shocks from an expedition so those will replace the rear springs and shocks from the mustang rear axle to handle the load and also be able to level the truck or slam it down when I remove the stops.

Sorry I don't visit here as much as I would like, newborns and family life are big right now. That and trying to take some side work to make ends meet... hrmph...

I got through the smart junction box of fuses last night and removed a nice pile of wires. Now I need to do the battery junction box of fuses... I'll quiet the jokester people who think its something new to comment on my wiring... Sometimes this truck brings out people I'd like to punch in the throat because I know they don't have an ounce of fabrication/engineering/wiring skills yet they like to make some comment about how this or that could be better. From now on I will just directly ask those people if I can come look at what they built with their own two hands, that seems like a logical progression doesn't it? (Most people I enjoy talking to however)

Somehow I forgot that Roush pulls power from the trailer brake controller, and I of course listed that as a circuit I did not need. So I had some wires to solder in at the end so the truck would start =) At least my memory isn't completely gone.

I'm hoping to take the truck on a color run next weekend, about a 300 mile round trip, but we will see as we would need a sitter for the little guy (Kai). Might have to take the Jetta (boo!).

They think it makes them sound cool, like a drunk at a party.
Then on the other hand there's the one's like a couple friends of mine who don't have a filter between their brain and mouth :D

Took 5" out, have some minor trimming to do to get the roof to sit down due to the sawzall cut on the B pillar, but its all damn close! I have been waiting for this day for a long time, best part of the project so far. If you are ever on the fence on how much to cut out, take one more inch than you think =) (Was thinking 4" chop, went 5")

Thanks to my cousin Mike for some help today inside the cab, and helping get the roof off.

Just picked up a 51 ford cab....mine is real rough but I cant wait to real all this forum.

Just checking in, I been burning the candle on both ends, but not on my own project truck sadly... Been doing some side work on a 73 SS chevelle which SS stands for Super Swiss, so putting in floor pans, front and rear cowl work, trunk pans, and some other odd areas that somehow are swiss when they should be solid.

Also, been working on the house (de-cluttering and patch and paint work) as we are putting it on the market this weekend as we found a house we would like to own. Sounds like we will probably make an offer this weekend contingent on the sale of ours which according to all the history of the area we are in should not be an issue to sell fairly quickly.

Today we are going to inspect areas we could not get to on the first walk through like the garage, attic and crawl spaces to look for anything that would discourage us from buying the house.

There are some nice benefits to this place we found, and we are really hoping this works out for our family! Plenty of room in the house for everyone, and a craft room for the wife which is super important. 5 acres of land, and 3 out buildings one of which will be my dream shop 40x60 with a super tall ceiling for a lift.

Fingers crossed all goes as planned, and perhaps in a month or two I'll have some pics of us moved in to share!

Latest posts

Back