50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the defiinition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. You are changing everything a little at a time, there for it is not insanity it is more of a perfectionist approach.

One thing that helps is to do a curved pedal pad or one with a pivot behind it. Then the pad feels flat all the time through the arc. If you do a pivot then add stops behind it so it doesn't move to far. As for the slot in the floor you can add rubber strips to the side of the slot and "seal" it to the pedal as it moves through the arc. Or re-cut it as you said and only have a hole big enough for the shaft. Looking good! [P

One thing that helps is to do a curved pedal pad or one with a pivot behind it. Then the pad feels flat all the time through the arc. If you do a pivot then add stops behind it so it doesn't move to far. As for the slot in the floor you can add rubber strips to the side of the slot and "seal" it to the pedal as it moves through the arc. Or re-cut it as you said and only have a hole big enough for the shaft. Looking good! [P

Funny you should say that, I was thinking about a pivoting pad today, and I may do something like that with a stop, and maybe a brake spring to keep tension on it...
Yea I planned on adding some seals for the floor for sure, and a removable skid plate to protect the brake MC, and such..

Thanks for the comments guys, made a little bit of progress tonight at least in my mind on how/what/where the steering column and dash will be setup as well... best for me to do that and jot it all down on some paper so its off my mind...

I'm using measurements from myself sitting in my car to setup some of the spacing from the driver to the wheel, and such...:)

It's looking nice brother.. it's day is coming ...[cl
Thanks Gus, I jsut saw pics in your thread again, your truck looks killer with that stance...

3/20 Progress

Monday and tuesday were kind of a wash, had one of the daily drivers crap out a starter so no progress monday/tuesday...

I sorted out the mount for the actuator arm on the brake MC, so that is complete at least on that side. Still will need to finalize the brake pedal, but I will do that after more of the floor is done, and I have a mocked up driver seat height which should be soon. (Seat guy said hes actually working on them this week.. we will see :rolleyes:)

Also worked a bit on the tunnel tonight, got a few pieces made, these are the tougher ones with shape, so thin cardboard is my friend right now for templates...

Right in front of this area I plan on having a removable panel for access to the wiring plugs, and also the shifter cable as well if maintenance is needed..

Attachments

• DSC05043.jpg
    DSC05043.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05044.jpg
    DSC05044.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC05045.jpg
    DSC05045.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 54
I hate when a daily pukes.... I get very tired of that. At least it was just a starter. But glad you got some forward progress done on the truck!!!

[P[P[P....:D

Save me some popcorn, tonight was the last night of progress til monday probably.

I did make a little progress, got two larger pieces made and tack welded in on the top of the tunnel, and the other upright for the access panel area, things are coming together in my mind for the rest of the driver's side floor.

No pics tonight.. too tired.

More floor work

Getting closer, this is the progress from the last couple nights of work...
I think maybe one more good night of work to wrap up the floor skin on the driver's side.

Finalized the brake MC mount as well..

Another note, my seats should be done this week. ;)

Attachments

• DSC05046.jpg
    DSC05046.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC05047.jpg
    DSC05047.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC05048.jpg
    DSC05048.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 54
Man you really got to love filling in all them little pieces.

[cl Funny you should say that, those are the areas where there is a compound bend where I had to use smaller pieces to even make the bend, that last one at the firewall was the worst, but I think it will all look fairly good considering I don't have a tube bender or access to one, or a slip roller, so more squared off stealth bomber look for this one :)

On a positive note, I think I sorted out that I have two access panels on the driver's side, and only one to make on the passenger side for accessing the trans lines, and probably a shorty dip stick for the trans... Was thinking piano hinge, and some 1/4 turn fasteners, but I wanted it sealed... ideas?

After I wake up today, going to try to get my butt out there for a few hours before we head out for Easter family visits..

Kind of a crude diagram but this works real well. You can also put 1/4" foam backer rod in the tube, helps keep the shape and pushes against the metal for a better seal.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back