51 Chevy 1 ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celica454

So I've started my build. I have a 53, serial number 1, but decided not to chop up the first one built in 53. I bought a 51 Chevy 1430 1 ton. It has a box hoist. The cab and front end is mint. The doors and windows open like a new car. Bought it from the original owner. I took the cab and front end off the 1 ton frame and popped them onto a 85 Chevy 1/2 ton shortbox frame. Wheelbase is within 1 inch but the wheel stance/width is an issue. i think I'll stretch all 4 fenders outward 3 inches. This will clear the tires I plan to use.

Attachments

• IMG_0265 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0265 (Small).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0267 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0267 (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0268 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0268 (Small).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0269 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0269 (Small).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0271 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0271 (Small).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0273 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0273 (Small).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0281 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0281 (Small).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0275 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0275 (Small).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0276 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0276 (Small).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0278 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0278 (Small).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 49
In law enforcement we call that...

#1,,cool

l get told l am a different kinda #1[ddd

looks like a great start and a good plan...please keep us updated,

Later :cool:

a one finger wave.....or it could be they think we are number 1....but I doubt it.... :D

thanks for the support. I've mocked up the interior a little. Pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 38
I'd stay with the stock metal dash instead of the plastic S10 piece if it was me....

It's actually the dash out of the 85 Chevy. Haven't decide yet which way to go. The replacement stock guages are so expensive, $800-1000, and they're so small to read. I'm going to use the taillights from my first car, a 64 Chevy, which has been sitting on our farm since 1978. Haven't decided on headlights yet. I'm using the complete wiring harness from the 85 Chevy, including the tilt column. I'm leaning more towards the Pro Street look. May just build my own dash. I bought some Glow Shift guages for my motorhome. They're really cool. They have a needle plus a digital readout.

It's actually the dash out of the 85 Chevy. Haven't decide yet which way to go. The replacement stock guages are so expensive, $800-1000, and they're so small to read. I'm going to use the taillights from my first car, a 64 Chevy, which has been sitting on our farm since 1978. Haven't decided on headlights yet. I'm using the complete wiring harness from the 85 Chevy, including the tilt column. I'm leaning more towards the Pro Street look. May just build my own dash. I bought some Glow Shift guages for my motorhome. They're really cool. They have a needle plus a digital readout.

Classic Instruments won't run you that much. The thing about good quality replacement gauges like Classic is that while you spend a lot of money on them, they will last for a long time. Even if you have an issue with them, you send it back and they'll either fix it or give you a new gauge. I sent them my temperature gauge when it went south, and they sent me a brand new gauge. From experience, I can tell you the money is well worth not messing around with old gauges and mucking up a nicely styled dash to make something you have work. Just my 2 cents.

Here's an example, direct fit gauges for $600. Summit Racing Classic Instruments Gauges

Last edited:
Nice looking truck.
Here are some pics of my old daily driver.
It is sitting on a 91 GMC Sierra 4 WD unaltered frame. Standard cab. Step side box.

When the front wheels were straight they just fit inside the fender wells. And I was running some beefy AT tires.
Glad to see you not using a S-10 frame and running gear as they are too narrow and require the use of wheel spacers.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1780.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 30
Yea. That does look good. With the 4 x 4 frame you didn't have the issue I'm facing. I plan to drop her as much as I can without using airbags. Must be fun to drive

Classic Instruments won't run you that much. The thing about good quality replacement gauges like Classic is that while you spend a lot of money on them, they will last for a long time. Even if you have an issue with them, you send it back and they'll either fix it or give you a new gauge. I sent them my temperature gauge when it went south, and they sent me a brand new gauge. From experience, I can tell you the money is well worth not messing around with old gauges and mucking up a nicely styled dash to make something you have work. Just my 2 cents.

Here's an example, direct fit gauges for $600. Summit Racing Classic Instruments Gauges

I admit I do like the classic look but the guages are simply too small and hard to read, ecpecially at night. I wear reading glasses now and it's way worse at night. Old age is a bugger. I appreciate the advise. There's a guy in Winnipeg KIJIJI that took a 2000 Cadilac and not only installed the powertrain in his 50 chevy pickup but the digital dash also. Looks interesting but too modern for me.

Yea. That does look good. With the 4 x 4 frame you didn't have the issue I'm facing. I plan to drop her as much as I can without using airbags. Must be fun to drive

Dropping it would indeed be another issue.
It was a blast to drive. Except in high wind.:eek::eek: Always freaked people out to see it driven in the snow.
That panel truck got more "Smiles per mile" than any other vehicle I have had.
Some times when I was in a hurry I hated to have to get gas because everyone always wanted to talk about it.
Sold it to a guy that totaled it a month after buying it from me. He clipped a 3/4 ton suburban which spun around and hit him in the side. Causing the panel to leave the road and hit a power pole head on. All at about 60 MPH.
The guy told me that the only thing that saved him was the shoulder harness system that we installed in the truck.
Watching your build with interest.[P[P[P
Torchie.

Nice looking truck.
Here are some pics of my old daily driver.
It is sitting on a 91 GMC Sierra 4 WD unaltered frame. Standard cab. Step side box.

When the front wheels were straight they just fit inside the fender wells. And I was running some beefy AT tires.
Glad to see you not using a S-10 frame and running gear as they are too narrow and require the use of wheel spacers.
Torchie.

The S-10 swaps don't require spacers, just the right wheels. They're much better for a lowered look and nice stance. I've seen old pickups on S-10 RWD frames and the work out quite good in terms of track width. I wouldn't use a 1/2 ton frame for the swap since doing the S-10, and we've done both.

You can always fit the gauges into the truck dash. make up some templates out of cardboard and then make them out of metal when you get what you like.

I redid the gauge cluster in my 64 pick up for under $100 with the gauges, I just had to shop around.

The S-10 swaps don't require spacers, just the right wheels. They're much better for a lowered look and nice stance. I've seen old pickups on S-10 RWD frames and the work out quite good in terms of track width. I wouldn't use a 1/2 ton frame for the swap since doing the S-10, and we've done both.

My brother is doing a 53 GMC and is using an S-10 frame. It would definately be less challenging. My issue is with the suspension. I have a 454 that's ready to go in. I have a heavy foot and don't think the S-10 rearend will hold up. I've seen what a slightly modified 350 will do to that rearend. I plan on using 22-24" wide rear skins, along with 400-500 horse of big block torque. I'm looking at a narrowed 12 bolt or Dana 60. I'm a bit of a non-conformist and want to do something different. That's why I'm planning to kick all 4 fenders outwards. It's never been done as far as I know. There was a guy on this forum somewhere that put 2 ton fenders on his truck. I believe they're wider from the factory. Impossible to find these. Thanks for the input and I'll keep everyone posted. Still gathering body pieces. Also hard to find in Canada.

My brother is doing a 53 GMC and is using an S-10 frame. It would definately be less challenging. My issue is with the suspension. I have a 454 that's ready to go in. I have a heavy foot and don't think the S-10 rearend will hold up. I've seen what a slightly modified 350 will do to that rearend. I plan on using 22-24" wide rear skins, along with 400-500 horse of big block torque. I'm looking at a narrowed 12 bolt or Dana 60. I'm a bit of a non-conformist and want to do something different. That's why I'm planning to kick all 4 fenders outwards. It's never been done as far as I know. There was a guy on this forum somewhere that put 2 ton fenders on his truck. I believe they're wider from the factory. Impossible to find these. Thanks for the input and I'll keep everyone posted. Still gathering body pieces. Also hard to find in Canada.

Body parts for these trucks are easy to find up here, what do you need?

My dad has a 454 in his '52 on an S-10 frame and the S-10 frame and suspension is just fine, no problem. If you're worried about tearing up the rear put a locker in it. I know a lot of guys using S-10 rears with big power with no problems.

If you want to widen the fenders though or run wider fenders go for it, just trying to give you options.

Body parts for these trucks are easy to find up here, what do you need?

My dad has a 454 in his '52 on an S-10 frame and the S-10 frame and suspension is just fine, no problem. If you're worried about tearing up the rear put a locker in it. I know a lot of guys using S-10 rears with big power with no problems.

If you want to widen the fenders though or run wider fenders go for it, just trying to give you options.

I need a good tailgate and full length running boards and splash apron. I will be in Red Deer from Mar 5-28. I cover the north half of Alberta and am in Edmonton all summer. I would love to see what parts you have for sale. Not sure the best way to exchange contact info without posting to the forum.

Latest posts

Back