51 chevy panel truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebones

Hey guy's got a 51 chevy panel truck .I pulled the front axle to repair the king pins ,before I pulled it the passenger tire had a 1\4 of play top to bottom movement.Anyway I got the axle out and noticed the caps on top of the spindle that holds the king pins were not obvious on how to get them out.Does anyone have any advice to solve my problem?

Attachments

• PICT0856.jpg
    PICT0856.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 24
  • PICT0857.jpg
    PICT0857.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 22
that first picture is a little fuzzy. i really cant tell any detail in it.

is it the king pin that is the problem there or are the bearings shot in the rims? i had that problem on an older car i had and all i needed to do was swap out the bearing on the rim, all was well at that point (other than the fact the car was a POS)

I believe the king pin caps are simply stamped sheetmetal, much like a frost plug in the engine block. You should be able to run a self-tapping screw into it and then pop it out with a pair of vise grips clamped on the screw.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shea:)

would a self tapping screw hold long enough? i havent tried it, so i really cant say, but if you have the ability then i would say to weld a nail to it and pull with that. Im not saying the self tapper wont work but i would go with the added security of the weld.

tapped thread

I usually drill a hole and tap it then run a bolt down until it pops the cap out. I bet a self tapper would do the same job.

Latest posts

Back