51 Chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celica454

I've started my build. I removed the cab and front clip from my 51 1 ton dump box. In my collection I had a 85 chevy shortbox 2 wheel drive rolling chassis. This chassis was already dropped 4". The body almost fits perfectly on the 85 frame, except for the axle widths. I'm thinking of kicking out all 4 fenders about 3". This will clear my tires including the 24" wide ones I have slated for the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0269 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0269 (Medium).jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0179 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0179 (Medium).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0271 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0271 (Medium).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0301 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0301 (Medium).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0278 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0278 (Medium).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0276 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0276 (Medium).jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 23
Yeah the track width of the full size trucks is a little wide for those bodies. Widening the fenders is an interesting way to combat that. It looks like even with the 4" drop the chassis could come down a bit more. Depends how the cab is sitting on the frame, I guess,

Your right. It could go down somemore. The cab is sitting right on the frame at the back. To get it lower I have 2 options. Do the axle flip on the back which involves notching the frame and change out the front springs. The vehicle safety rules we have here in Manitoba are some of the toughest in Canada. A frame notch would fail safety. Front spring change alters the steering geometry. The other option is to cut the floor of the cab and lower it on the frame like the rat rodders do. Probably the best bet. This maintains the integrity of the stock suspension and will pass safety.

Latest posts

Back