'51 f1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hung up

Well back to trying to get this axle kit together. I wonder if this could be the wrong kit or something.

Any advice would be good. I called RPM today and he said grind down the spindle a little so the caliper clears. The grinding worked out pretty good.

I tried fitting the break bracket on the back side of the spindle and it doesn't go. It fits perfect on the inside. To me it seems like I might have the wrong bracket for this kit. If it was on the other side of the spindle I think it would all just bolt right up.

Attachments

• break1.jpg
    break1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 21
  • break2.jpg
    break2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 22
  • break3.jpg
    break3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 21
  • break4.jpg
    break4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 21
  • break5.jpg
    break5.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 20
  • break6.jpg
    break6.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 18
  • break.jpg
    break.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 23
send these pics to rpm... he will be able to help i'm sure...

the clearance is wrong, the pad is not even on the correct side of the bracket in one pic...

have u tried every possible angle and even thought of switching brackets from left to right? bracket from front to back? or are you sure you have the rotor on correct?

so many variables that an "easy answer" is gonna be hard to get from here...

not trying to be rude but when i have a problem like this, i usually walk away and come back later ... maybe start from scratch or get "radical" trying other possibilities...

WELL...lol looks like I got the wrong rotor. Ron from RPM has been helping me through this. He was saying that the rotor was for a Mopar and I have ford spindles. RPM has been super helpful with this and he is a great business person. Big thanks to him for helping.

Well got the rotors shipped off to speedway and when they get the wrong rotors they will ship me the right ones. They we helpful and emailed me postage! Today I worked on getting the doors chopped. The passenger side was a breeze to do. The driver's side.... not so much. Still working on it and plan to finish it Thursday this week.

Attachments

• pass door4.jpg
    pass door4.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 23
  • pass door9.jpg
    pass door9.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 21
  • pass door8.jpg
    pass door8.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 20
  • pass door7.jpg
    pass door7.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 23
  • pass door6.jpg
    pass door6.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
  • pass door5.jpg
    pass door5.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 23
  • pass door3.jpg
    pass door3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 24
  • pass door2.jpg
    pass door2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 26
  • pass door1.jpg
    pass door1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Pass Door.jpg
    Pass Door.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 25
more pictures

Attachments

• pass door10.jpg
    pass door10.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 17
  • pass door11.jpg
    pass door11.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 15
It's GO TIME!

It's Go time on building the frame. Spend a some time today pulling the measurements with the tires mount on the axles. I shooting for 4 to 6" of ride height. I'm thinking the wheel base will be around 138". I'm setting the frame up for 7" (bottom to ground) dry in the front and 6" in the rear. My guess is the front will go down about 1.5" with a Ford 460 and C6 transmission. Also thinking the rear might go down about .5" with the motor being pushed back the fire wall. The rear springs are off a 1995 F150 (64" long).

I will post pictures after tomorrow. I will be cutting the metal.

Attachments

• Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 36
  • tire1.jpg
    tire1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 29
Well making a little bit of progress. I got the frame tack together as of right now. Looking for a level look about 6 inches off the deck. I plan on running leafs in the rear with the axle mounted over top to help lower it. Figure it would cut down a little on the kick up in the rear. Trying to keep as much depth to the bed as I can. Also I plan on putting gussets at the angles and beefing up the rear cross bar at the rear of the cab. I'm going to make a K member for the trans mount. Though about tying that into that rear cross bar for more strength.

Hopefully by the end of the week I will have the front and rear axle mocked up. More pictures to come.

Latest posts

Back