'51 f1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked on the rear leafs today. Soon it will be a rolling chassis![cl

I used the string to measure cross ways to make sure it was squared up. Now I'm waiting on some U bolts and spring pads to come in and I will be able to finish the back. Mean while I will start the work on the front.

Any advice if I can improve what I'm doing is always welcome.

Attachments

• rear leafs1.jpg
    rear leafs1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 24
  • rear leafs2.jpg
    rear leafs2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 22
  • rear leafs3.jpg
    rear leafs3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 22
  • rear leafs4.jpg
    rear leafs4.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 22
  • rear leafs5.jpg
    rear leafs5.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Rear leafs.jpg
    Rear leafs.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 20
Everything is not bolted down all the way right now but good enough to see a rolling chassis. I got to go get some bolts because some used right now are not the right ones. I got the front axle 5 degrees back and the rear pumpkin up 3 degrees. Wheel base is 126 inches and ride height will be around 6 inches. I can adjust a little to make it have a level stance. I did notice today that the snout on the pumpkin is not in the middle. The drive shaft will be a little over to the passenger side but I don't think that will be a big deal. I just need to get the plates for the rear axle that the "U" bolts run through. Once I do that ROLLING CHASSIS 100%! Going to have to move the shock mounts on the rear also.

Attachments

• rolling4.jpg
    rolling4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 17
  • rolling10.jpg
    rolling10.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 19
  • rolling9.jpg
    rolling9.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 18
  • rolling8.jpg
    rolling8.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 18
  • rolling7.jpg
    rolling7.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 18
  • rolling5.jpg
    rolling5.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 15
  • rolling3.jpg
    rolling3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 14
  • rolling2.jpg
    rolling2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 15
  • rolling1.jpg
    rolling1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Rolling.jpg
    Rolling.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 20
trucking along

Well I'm still trucking along. Got some plates from the junk yard for the rear axle to bolt up to the leaf springs. Also got some hardware from the hardware store today. Still got to grind down the tie rod bar...? I guess this is the name for it? not sure. Had to take a inch out of it to get the front tires pulled in far enough. I put solid rod in it then plug and butt welded it.[;)

In the pictures the motor is not sitting on the frame. I'm thinking I might need to move it back a couple of inches. The pulleys are right over the front spring perch.

Right now with the motor weight sitting on the frame I got 4inches clearance up front and only 3 5/8 in the rear. I got to figure out how to raise the rear. Thinking of taking a leaf out which will pull the frame up. Any tips at this point would be good!! let me know.

Thanks

Attachments

• rear pads.jpg
    rear pads.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Tie rod bar.jpg
    Tie rod bar.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Motor fitting.jpg
    Motor fitting.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Motor fitting1.jpg
    Motor fitting1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Motor fitting2.jpg
    Motor fitting2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Motor fitting3.jpg
    Motor fitting3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Motor fitting4.jpg
    Motor fitting4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Motor fitting5.jpg
    Motor fitting5.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 18
Also..

Also I'm not going to mount the motor/trans lower than the lowest part of the frame. Think of a skid plate just in case for the oil pan. Don't know about that yet though.

I missed some of your progress somehow, gotta be an awesome feeling to have the rolling chassis!

Looks like you are moving along with the motor fitment!

I would leave the springs alone for now till you have most of the heavy parts on.

Kinda what I was thinking. See how much more it goes down and then I will know it taking a spring out if enough. Also thought about taking a inch or 2 out of the rear kick ups on the frame. I would just sleeve on the inside for strength. We shall see.

I missed some of your progress somehow, gotta be an awesome feeling to have the rolling chassis!

Looks like you are moving along with the motor fitment!

Thanks! It is a good feeling for sure. Starting to look like something instead of a pile of parts.:D

In the pictures the motor is not sitting on the frame. I'm thinking I might need to move it back a couple of inches. The pulleys are right over the front spring perch.

Right now with the motor weight sitting on the frame I got 4inches clearance up front and only 3 5/8 in the rear. I got to figure out how to raise the rear. Thinking of taking a leaf out which will pull the frame up. Any tips at this point would be good!! let me know.

Thanks

After seeing the pictures, if it was mine, I would move the motor back till the block and bell housing line up with the kick up on the frame. The way it sets now theres no room for your grill shell. Moving it back would help alot with balance and a smoother ride. just my 2cents.

Thanks

You can put the leaf on top of the axle as well. Just sayin' [P

Slid the motor back a little bit more. Trying to balance out the truck some. Worked on the transmission mount some today. I will get pictures of it when I'm done with it. Thinking Saturday is my next day I will be able to work on the truck. I feel like if I could just 7 straight days working on this truck I could get it to almost drive able. Need more time!:D

Attachments

• Cab front.jpg
    Cab front.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Motor fitting 6.jpg
    Motor fitting 6.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Motor fitting 7.jpg
    Motor fitting 7.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 9
OH! the motor will sit lower than in the pictures. Was just trying to get a idea of location.

Latest posts

Back