51 olds 303 and tranny?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

51 ford

I am buying a '51 olds 303. My question is should I also get the auto tranny or swap it for something else. Are these trannys any good? If not, what is a good alternative.

The four speed hydros were THE transmission to use for drag racing back in the day. They are tough and can be built to take some high HP. However, parts are probably getting harder to find, and maybe more expensive. Also, these weigh a ton. More modern transmissions like a TH350 are lighter and easier to have repaired if needed.

But if you can find someone to freshen it up with some new seals and a filter change, it could be a great one to use. Years ago I had a Rambler station wagon with a built Olds 324 in it (can you say SLEEPER :D) and the guy who built the car originally reworked the transmission too. When that sucker would shift into second it was time to hang on. Without a doubt Olds engines are my all time favorite even to today.

I'm running a 394 Olds in the rpu I am currently putting together and I decided to swap to a TH350, using an adapter from Bendtsens Transmissions. It isn't a cheap kit (about a grand) but it is very complete and very well made. I plan on driving this car a lot and didn't want to be worrying about a 50 year old transmission going out far from home.

Don

Oldsmobilebellhousing005.jpg

Donsrods thanks for the reply. This tranny is and automatic and I'm having a heck of a time seperating it from the engine. Any tricks I don't know about? I thought it would slide apart like the chevy motors I've worked on. The motor itself is in pretty good shape, I can turn the crank by hand and hear the compression in the cylinders, the oil looks like its just been changed as do the points. It also has the original gold valve covers. I'm hoping to get it running soon. Thanks for the info.

51 Ford....If memory serves me correctly, the torque converter is "inside" a housing. There are two sets of bolts to remove. You should see 4 bolts that look like they will release the converter but there is another set of bolts that hold that housing together, this housing bolts to the flywheel from the transmission side, maybe 8 or 10 more bolts.
Parts for that transmission will be impossible to find. Best to find an adapter for a late model trans.

Last edited:
Fuzz
Thanks for the info. I got it apart today. I had to take the dust cover off the bottom of the tranny, unbolt 25-30, inch long bolts from the flywheel. Theres one big nut in the center of the shaft holding the converter to the tranny. I'll take that off and see if it comes apart. I plan on using a turbo 350 with an adapter. I soda blasted the motor today and it looks great, hooked the starter to a battery charger and it turned over, the altenator sounds good just turning it by hand. I'm hoping to have this running soon.

Latest posts

Back