52 chevy PU stearing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

This seams to be the place to find a solution to my problem.

I am trying to build this truck on the cheep. I can do any of the fab it needs and would like to be able to find JY parts. Its a 52 chevy Pu, with a hacked in small block th350 combo.

I know I need a stock colum and wheel to start with, but I would like some idea of a stearing box that guys have used. The stock one is way too close to the ex manifold. I would also like a power box, as my motor has a pump on it already.

I have thought about moving the stock one over about 2in and bending/fabing a new arm for the 'push-pull' setup but that dosnt apeal to me for safty reasons.

FYI: I think this is why the guy orignaly got rid of the truck, he welds are scary to say the least. :eek:

If you can't weld good, weld a lot. :eek:

I wonder if you can get a stock gear off a '73 and up 4X4 to work. It would mount to the outside of the frame ahead of the axle.

Todd, I am working on this solution right now with a buddy...

Cpt Moron, I have thought about that swap at length accualy. I can totaly do it, but I would like to stick with the solid axel for now, for $$ and time reasons. I want to chop, and be driving this truck for under 1000. I am up to 600 right now, and its almost driving, but not chopped.

my future plans are as follows, drop with bags, then do a motor swap to a 454, which will included boxed frame, 9in rear, ifs, etc the list never ends. :D

I have a stock 52 and a chopped and sub framed 50.
I put a power box off of a 74-85 model full size chevy truck.it's easy to do and they even make a kit .i didnt have the bread for the kit so i whent over to my friends house and copied his brakets and made my own kit .you will need a steiring arm from an older caprise or empala ,i think is what i used.
it's easyer than you may think and i cut the stock colum and put in a bearing on the end ,so it looks original inside .
i would be glade to help in any way that i can ,but i'm slow with the picture stuff.i still have the paper work from my friends kit and it has a lote of info on it .i will try to fax it to you if possible.
drop axles are 350 + core for them trucks and i bet its not too hard to put baggs on them eiather?
not haveing money can force you to use your imagination,so go with the flow and find new ways to do stuff on your build !!!!

Last edited:
Any idea who makes the kit? Even just one pic would be helpful, the info on the stearing arm is awsome, will defenitly help. yea I can totaly fab up some bag mounts for the front end, thats the least of my problems at this point LOL I unfortunatly need to find an OEM colum too...

LMC truck.com 1-800-LMC-truck
www.classicparts.com 1-800-741-1678
I beleive botth of these guys carrie the kit . and i will try to get some pics of mine on here tomarow.if ya cant find an oem colum its farly easy to make one from exaust pipe and some barrings or busings.or put a tilt out of just about any gm vehicle.

LMC truck.com 1-800-LMC-truck
www.classicparts.com 1-800-741-1678
I beleive botth of these guys carrie the kit . and i will try to get some pics of mine on here tomarow.if ya cant find an oem colum its farly easy to make one from exaust pipe and some barrings or busings.or put a tilt out of just about any gm vehicle.

excellent, thanks.

I have a mid 70's gm colum, looks like crap to be totaly honest with you, the truck is keeping the orignal bench seat and I realy want the big 'school bus' steering wheel.

Sorry it took me so long but here are the pic's of my set up .
there are still things that nee to be changed but for now i can move it around.and i have tryed it out on the street and it works good just needs an alinement .I still need to put an unwelded joint on it.they tell me that an astro van stering joint will fit it perfectly.latter i will convert to disc's and do away with the lencage too but for now i can move it around and it works .

Attachments

• motorcycles 002_320x240.jpg
    motorcycles 002_320x240.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 65
  • motorcycles 001_320x240.jpg
    motorcycles 001_320x240.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 46
Chopper Tom have you had any problem with tire rub.I have 53 with 4in. dropped axle an steering is all messed up plus same problem stock box in the way for small block.

I just did a conversion on a 51 gmc using the complete kit that brothers truck sells,very simple,used the stock column,really didnt like the bump steer it produced,not as bad as the 50 we got with a rack and straight axle

Chopper Tom have you had any problem with tire rub.I have 53 with 4in. dropped axle an steering is all messed up plus same problem stock box in the way for small block.

I dont have any problems with mine [yet] and i been driving it for about 2 mounths now. But i havent put a drop axle in it yet,the guy ask me if i wanted it to be narrowed when i checked on them .Do you know if yours is narrower than stock ?that could be one reason for it and i have to wander if one shouldn't raise the box up on the frame when one installes a drop axle ,mabie thats another reason why it rubs?
I really dont have any problems with mine ,it drives ok but i wanna put some new unwelded parts on it when i get some extra cash.[and do it the right way]
I really been wanting a drop axle so let me know what you find out????

Latest posts

Back