52 Olds Super 88 Voltage Regulator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_CK_R

Hi, I got a little problem with my Super 88. I had some issues with the Voltage regulator. It did not reload the Battery it just regulated to 6V... Then I just tried a little bit (by flexing the contacts) and now it loads with 8,2V to 8,5V... And I think that is a lot too much. Now it also doesn't cut the loading relais...

I took some pictures from the regulator (I think it looks almost new). Hope anybody of you can help me or give me some tipps what I can do...

Attachments

• 6a5639b9.l.jpg
    6a5639b9.l.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 64d5500e.l.jpg
    64d5500e.l.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 13
  • cda101f7.l.jpg
    cda101f7.l.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 15
yes it's to high, my book for 50's GM auto states 6.4-6.8 volts.I'll keep looking & see if I can find more info (I have 100's of repair manuals):cool:

Well crap! what's the numbers on your generator? I read more & it gives a few different volt #'s, & it says air gap 0.63-0.77 depending which generator you have~Chuck

Since I can't figure how to edit my post above?
if you would like I can take the books to work tomorrow & scan it?~Chuck

Meanwhile I found a guy who produces generators and starters and he testet my generator and the voltage regulator and as he said is everything okay...
I also installed both parts and now it brings like 6,8 Volt and when I turn on the lights and the whiper it brings 6,3V while standing :)

But if you could scan the book though it would be great, because I'm very interested in learning more about how this stuff should work...

Thanks,
Kai

Meanwhile I found a guy who produces generators and starters and he testet my generator and the voltage regulator and as he said is everything okay...
I also installed both parts and now it brings like 6,8 Volt and when I turn on the lights and the whiper it brings 6,3V while standing :)

But if you could scan the book though it would be great, because I'm very interested in learning more about how this stuff should work...

Thanks,
Kai

P/M you email address & i'll email them to you~Chuck
(ps if you need any more info let me know i'll copy that too)

Latest posts

Back