53 buick drivetrain swap?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
ok
i have a 53 special and i cant afford to restore it.
so now i want to put a different drivetrain
chevy 350 and 3 speed auto as well as probably a ford 9" rear
from what i understand a 4 link rear would be easiest and cheapest.
i am just gonna sell the 2 straight 8's i have and probably scrap the dynaflow and rear end.
the dynaflow and floating rear parts are insanely expensive and nobody knows how to work on them anyway.
so away they go.
it is such a cool car we cant bear to not make it usable.
and drive it a LOT.
ANY IDEAS?

Chevy is the easy way, If it were me, I'd look for a nailhead out of a early to mid 60's Buick so you could get the matching 400 tranny, or a 455 out of a later car. 9" is a great rearend, but a 8.8" is almost as strong and are everywhere, so will cost you less. Some of them even were 4 link from the factory, so you might be able to adapt the factory arms to your car.

what type of rear suspenion does it have now? i think leaf springs are the easiest out there for swapping to anything, a running parts car such as a 70,s_ 80,s chevy could donate a good running gear on the cheap

I was going to say the same thing about an 8.8. In my neck of the woods they are $200 with drum brakes and $300 with disks at any junk yard. They were in anything from the big lincolns/crown vics to exploders and mustangs.

They'll easily stand up to a 350 and cheaper/newer than a 9"

I think the Buick used coil springs, right? I think a 4-bar & panhard with coil spring buckets from Speedway welded on to the new axle will be the easiest and give a good ride.

[P

Any donor cars available? You could check with Gus. Wonderful old Boink!

i am in abq nm.
there are millions of beatup donor cars here.
i mentioned 9" rears because i can think of 5 or 6 laying around my buddys houses.
i think i paid 60 bucks for the one i used on the 27 chevy

A rear axle out of a '73-'80ish Chevy truck fits perfectly under these and is the same 5on5 lug pattern as the front.

If considering a Nailhead look for a '65 or '66 as it will have the ST400 (basically a 400TH).

I Have all chrome ect. except for the hood ornament and a headlight cowl.
the engines are on a concrete slab under a tarp.
supposedly this car was a runner before the previous owner pulled the engine.
he had 2 of these cars and yanked the engine out of the other one and installed a (you guessed it) chevy 350.
he has been driving it around for a few years now.

Boy how I hate to say this.....But I used to have one of these also (a long, long time ago). Straight 8 with a 3 speed on the column. Ended up selling it for $600 and then I saw it back up for sale a short time later for $3500. From what I could tell the only thing done to it was the flames....

I think if would have to opportunity like you do Billy, I would just go the late model donor car....run the leaf springs with the later rear and swap the motor / trans in from the donar....maybe subframe it so I'd have the updated brakes. That's just me, I had my chance and I sold it :D

Ron
yeah my wife and i will make it happen.
i got this one for her for $560 for everything a few months ago.
if i find a home for the stuff we wont use.
great
if not thats ok too.
i know some folks like these straight 8s
but they are so freakin heavy that if the person doesnt live nearby it doesnt make any sense to ship.

Stay away fom the nailheads. Crazy expensive to rebuild.And ones that run aren't cheap either. At least I've never found one.
Plus even if you found a later one with the open driveline trans(Post 1960 I believe) you will still have to replace the rear end.
Cheapest way to go is a SBC. That's why most people use them.
I drove a 1950 Buick sedanette as an everyday car for about 3 years back in the late 70's. I loved the straight 8- kindaslow combo. If it drove I would leave it stock and drive the **** out of it.....
Torchie.

That straight 8 would be an awesome starting point for a speedster or vintage racer replica. Heavy and not much power but it would be awesome with some straight pipes and a couple of carbs.

Too bad the trans & closed driveline make them such a pain to deal with - pain in the arse and pain in wallet.

I hear the voice of the almighty dollar echoing around in you head.
I hate it when I hear those voices!
That one is about as bad as the practicality one.
DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!
Just do what your wife tells you to and you'll be fine. (I think).

I hear the voice of the almighty dollar echoing around in you head.
I hate it when I hear those voices!
That one is about as bad as the practicality one.
DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!
Just do what your wife tells you to and you'll be fine. (I think).

She wants to drive it around.
Whatever will make that happen as cheaply as possible.
Is what will happen.

Last edited:
Stay away fom the nailheads. Crazy expensive to rebuild.And ones that run aren't cheap either. At least I've never found one.
Plus even if you found a later one with the open driveline trans(Post 1960 I believe) you will still have to replace the rear end.
Cheapest way to go is a SBC. That's why most people use them.
I drove a 1950 Buick sedanette as an everyday car for about 3 years back in the late 70's. I loved the straight 8- kindaslow combo. If it drove I would leave it stock and drive the **** out of it.....
Torchie.

i love unusual engines and museum quality restorations.
am i willing to sink two years wages and the next 10 years to make this buick perfect?
hell no.
but i AM willing to do what is needed to make this thing a safe,clean ,reliable cruiser for my baby.
and while i have ZERO brand loyalty.
chevy engines are so common place that i can buy parts off the shelf anywhere in this country.

Latest posts

Back