53 Cranbrook

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoitink

Well here we go again going to try and document this one, as I seem to be slacking in that department lately.
So I picked up a 53 Cranbrook from a buddy that he had done a bunch of work with and now it's my turn.

This is what I started with.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

She is in definite need of a hair cut

The old motor went south and they got this one in but haven't finished buttoning it up, but I think I'm going to take the easy route and small block this one as I want to road trip her this year.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

She's actually got a pretty rock'n interior so not gonna change anything on that front really might redo the door panels but that's about it.

Man my camera sucks but you get the idea going to change out the tank and rebag the back. I did this for him last year but it's not low enough for me and going to go with a notch.

7.jpg

Started stripping the interior in preps for a haircut.

8.jpg

Snip Snip...

10.jpg

11.jpg

BOM much better.

12.jpg

Still working on figuring out a rear window as the original no workie no more.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Start sticking stuff back together.

16.jpg

Still needs a little work but will be fine for now.

17.jpg

B pillars now, going with the leaned posts. Now if there is one thing I've learned is you always start with the passenger side lol lots of trial and error here but happy with the outcome.

18.jpg

On to the door frame.

19.jpg

20.jpg

Tacked in for now still have to finish er up as it was getting late.

22.jpg

Looks great.
Nice to see another Custom on here.
Dig the interior. The 60 Chevy that my daughter and I did a few
years ago had Zebra striped seats. She was gong to change over to Lepard spots but never did.
Torchie.

Here's a little inspiration for you.

Ed Sloans 1953 2 dr hardtop customized by the Barris Brothers.
The rear glass on this one was plexiglas.
You don't see many of these cars customized.
Keep at it.
Torchie.

Attachments

• P1300115-vi.jpg
    P1300115-vi.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P6050096-th.jpg
    P6050096-th.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 24
  • P6050099-th.jpg
    P6050099-th.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 22
hoitink;369492 This is what I started with. Man my camera sucks but you get the idea going to change out the tank and rebag the back. I did this for him last year but it's not low enough for me and going to go with a notch. [IMG said:
http://halfasskustoms.com/pics/cranbrook/7.jpg[/IMG]

Is that tank held in with nylon ratchet straps? [S No way I'd run it like that if it is....

Is that tank held in with nylon ratchet straps? [S No way I'd run it like that if it is....

Yeah, it will have a different fuel tank when I'm done re-bagging the back of the car. I've never actually drove the car with that setup.

Alright so over the holidays I got a little bit done. Got the roof all welded up and motor pulled along with mocking up the smallblock.

Anyway away with the pictures.

Finishing up with the B pillars

24.jpg

25.jpg

Drivers side
26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Now the back window was having problems finding something that fit. The original just looked broken with the new profile. Tried a 49 Chrysler I had and a Chevy one all looked broken or to big. I did have a 41 Ford though an it looked ok, so I went with it.

30.jpg

31.jpg

36.jpg

Vent window old vs new

37.jpg

Still have to do a "little" adjusting of the garnish moldings haha

38.jpg

Motor mocked in, steering is an issue and I couldn't find a manifold that works.

39.jpg

40.jpg

So I made up some headers. There not pretty got a little lazy with these, but they should work.

41.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

Splash some paint on stuff to make it presentable even though I only open the hood to check oil or work on it haha.

42.jpg

43.jpg

Latest posts

Back