53 gmc/chevy on s10 frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks shea! hopefully i'll have alot more pics coming soon which means i'm getting something done on it!!:D

Not a whole lot of progress, been cleaning up all the mess of s10 parts and '53 parts i am not gonna use and putting in one big pile to take to the scrapyard. I posted the '53 frame on craigslist for next to nothing but no takers. I put the s10 cab on the '53 frame and i call it the reverse s10 frame swap!! I did put in the aluminum radiator in my support and it fits like a glove.

Attachments

• DSC01984.jpg
    DSC01984.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC01986.jpg
    DSC01986.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC01985.jpg
    DSC01985.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 96
The S10 pic is FUNNY!!!:D Rad looks good in there...d'ya think it'll be enough to cool that big 2.5?;);) Just kidding, looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Now that I think of it-are you going to keep computer and fuel injection? Maybe recycle some or all of the S10's harnesses too?

Keep on truckin'!

Regards,
Shea:)

I got a kick out of that! I figured no one ever saw the reverse swap before! Yes i think the rad will cool down the screamin 2.5!! I wanted a good enough rad for down the road if i throw in a sbc. I am keeping the comp & tbi in it. I plan on using all of the harness. The only mistake I made is I changed the 4 spd tranny to a 5 spd and didnt realize the 5 spd has electronic hookup for the speedo so I'm kinda scratching my head about that one. any ideas?

The only mistake I made is I changed the 4 spd tranny to a 5 spd and didnt realize the 5 spd has electronic hookup for the speedo so I'm kinda scratching my head about that one. any ideas?

Depending on what you plan to use for gauges, there are a lot of electronic speedometers by different manufacturers that will work with that speed sender.

Auto Meter, Stewart-Warner, VDO, the usual suspects should all have electronic 5" diameter speedos that would work with the GM speed sensor.

Then again, I wonder if the old 4-speed might not have had a speedo cable output adapter which also has a plug-in for the ECM... Did you already throw out the old tranny? If not, it might be worth a check...

On the other hand, I might just be talking out of my ass...:eek:;) I darn sure don't know EVERYTHING...and some days my wife swears I don't know ANYTHING!:D

Regards,

Thanks guys! So if I run an aftermarket elec speedo will I need the wiring from an s10 with elec speedo to hook it up? Will this interfere with my ecm? I took a pic of my old tranny & the backside of my s10 gauge cluster for you Shea to look at. I guess I don't know what you mean & I don't know what to look for!! :confused:

Sorry I forgot to add pics in that last reply!!!!

Attachments

• DSC01987.jpg
    DSC01987.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC01988.jpg
    DSC01988.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 85
Okay...pic number 1 is the mechanical speedo drive. You should be able to remove that and swap it onto the five speed tranny in place of the electronic signal generator which will be there.

In picture number two, you will see where the electronic signal generator is attached to the back of the speedo itself, right where the speedo cable attaches. The signal generator is the "thingy" with the wires coming out of it-it's what the ECM reads for vehicle speed. This system is what my current '87 S-10 (the avitar pic) has in it. My first S-10 was a '91, it had the newer full-electronic type, like what your newer 5-speed tranny has. All that does is attach the signal generator right to the tranny case, then wires send a signal for vehicle speed to both the ECM and the instrument cluster.

I know this explaination is probably as clear as mud, I hope it will give you some insight into what's going on with yours...

One other thing to keep in mind is that the speedometer/speed sensor drive gears may be a different tooth count from transmission to transmission, depending on what the final drive ratios were in both the original and donor vehicles. You may need to change out the gears to correct inaccurate speedo readings if the rear axle gearing was different from truck to truck.

Hope this helps a little.:)

Regards,

Played around today with the box and runningboards. Shortened the box 8" along with the runningboards & made sure everything was gonna mate up good. Looks goofy with the 14" s10 rims but that will change when i find something nice to put on! I wanted to fit as much as i could while the weather is nice before i tear it down and move it in to the heated shop for the winter. Then i will work on brakes, gas tank, wiring etc. etc.

Attachments

• DSC02000.jpg
    DSC02000.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02002.jpg
    DSC02002.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC02003.jpg
    DSC02003.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02004.jpg
    DSC02004.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC01999.jpg
    DSC01999.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 115
Today I looked at the trannys and the mech drive from the '87 4 spd won't fit into the '91 5 spd. I took pics of the two for you to see. thanks

Attachments

• DSC02006.jpg
    DSC02006.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 46
pics look good joker......keep up the good work- i've always wanted to do a s-10 swap like that.....really like those old chebbies:D:D

HMM!...

Well, Joker65, looks like the electronic speed sensor in that 5-speed functions much like a wheel speed sensor for the antilock brake system-it's an electro-magnetic sensor which "reads" pulses from a toothed wheel on the output shaft and sends the resulting wave (or signal) back to the ECM to be interpreted as a vehicle speed.

I'm SOOO sorry for misleading you-I assumed that there would be a driven gear INSIDE the unit, however I was incorrect. You know what they say about "ASSUME-ing" stuff...

Anyway, looks like your best bet would be an aftermarket electronic speedometer, as posted earlier. One nice thing about using an aftermarket is that many will allow you to program the speedometer for different gear ratios, tire sizes, etc, to allow you to maintain accuracy.

Like I said before, I could be talking out of my ass...Just goes to show that mechanics certainly don't know everything!:eek::)

Regards,

Anybody using tpi or dolphin gauges? They are pretty reasonable and wondered if anybody liked them or not. also would the 5" quad set fit in the orig. holes in my dash?

Last edited:
dont know if the 5" will fit but my Tubbed 58 International and my 33 Rat pickup both have Dolphin gauges and EZwiring Kits, they have been great for install and the gauges in my International are 11 years old and never had a problem with them.

Jim

Thanks rat33 & dmw! I did purchase some tpi 5" programmable speedo & quad gauge set. I machined a couple of adapters for the holes in the dash because I think they are too big for the gauges. I will let you know how it works out when the gauges arrive!:D dmw, sounds like you have your next project idea (reverse s10 frame swap)!!![cl

I started installing the brake/clutch pedal assembly from the s10 into the '53. It fits amazingly well with a little trimming. I have some recent pics of this and the gauge adapters i machined for the new gauges. It was a good day!:D

Attachments

• DSC02047.jpg
    DSC02047.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC02049.jpg
    DSC02049.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02052.jpg
    DSC02052.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC02053.jpg
    DSC02053.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC02054.jpg
    DSC02054.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 69
Well I was really undecided about what to do for the gas tank. I really wanted it in the same location but the cab was too low. I was thinking about notching the cab and then I thought why not notch the tank instead. After ALOT of research about cutting and welding gas tanks i proceeded![;) Everything went well, i'm still in one piece & very happy with the results. I am now gonna do a pressure test on it for leaks.

Attachments

• DSC02173.jpg
    DSC02173.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02172.jpg
    DSC02172.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02175.jpg
    DSC02175.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC02176.jpg
    DSC02176.jpg