54 GMC Finished

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy2tone

Finally got the 54 GMC with 50 Chevy front clip on the road. Worked on this project for 3 summers with my sons. Here are a couple of pictures from what it started as and finished (Well are they ever finished?) with 1st trophy and family/helpers.

Attachments

• truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 68
  • rat1.jpg
    rat1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 82
  • rat2.jpg
    rat2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 1st Trophy.jpg
    1st Trophy.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 72
How about adding the mini flappers on those pipes? now that would be neat =)
Good looking truck, and congrats on the trophy!

Thought about that. I have seen baffles made from valve springs welded together. I built some and trying to put one in I bent it and it broke and fell down in. Had to remove the header to get it out, so I am not using them. What if they broke while driving down the road. The heat from welding them made the spring steel brittle. [S

Thought about that. I have seen baffles made from valve springs welded together. I built some and trying to put one in I bent it and it broke and fell down in. Had to remove the header to get it out, so I am not using them. What if they broke while driving down the road. The heat from welding them made the spring steel brittle. [S

Spring steel gets it's spring properties from the forming process. If it is heated too hot and cooled rapidly, it will become brittle. The best you can do is let it cool in air, and not cool it with water or anything. This way it will become less brittle, but the only way to get its ductility back is to heat treat it again. Even then it won't become springy like it was before.

A lot of guys use Harley baffles in pipes like that, it quiets them down quite a bit. Just something you might want to consider.

A lot of guys use Harley baffles in pipes like that, it quiets them down quite a bit. Just something you might want to consider.

I've also thought about that. Either way I have to cut the curve off and weld back on (UGH) because we kind of like the looks of them. The cops don't bother us so I think we will just leave it. Everyone where we take it loves it. With the Thumper cam it really sounds nasty.
Maybe try steel wool with screws to hold it in. I know it won't last long but worth a try. I have 2 other projects to work on and don't have the time to fool too much with the pipes.

Latest posts

Back