56 Oldsmobile maybe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old man dave

Some of you have already read that i thought about taking a 56 Olds 4 door and cutting the top off moving the package tray and rear firewall and trunk mounts forward to the back of the front seat. I know this is not really practical or very interesting but i can get the car complete and cheap. I had a friend do a photo shop image of this project and it looks ok. Does not really look like a convertible because of the front door being short.I would like to make the trunk as long as the rear section and have a 5' opening trunk and use it as a work truck when i only need to take small tools. If i ruin a rusty 4 door no big deal it was not very good anyway, then i could strip of the good parts and junk the body. Or use the short top and make a ute.

Attachments

• FWDkR.jpg
    FWDkR.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 42
  • hW64E.jpg
    hW64E.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 38
  • W6pmx.jpg
    W6pmx.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 48
Sounds like fun to me OMD. Of course that Olds is a wonderful donor if you weren't going to use the body. I am always looking for a big car like that to cut the top and windshield off, lower and drive. With the dry weather here i can do that. Please keep us updated. :cool:

Thanks guys for the reply. This is not a definite and i am not sure i could pull it off but it would give me some time to practice my sheet metal skills. Everything i have done prior is basically nut and bolt stuff so i want to try something different. I really want a roadster pick up but here in metro Atlanta we dont see that stuff ever. Might have to go visit my mom in south Alabama for a week and see what i can dig up.

If you want the bed covered, go with the stretched trunk lid idea, otherwise if you could use a station wagon or nomad tailgate. Either way, use the inner walls and floor from a truck bed welded in the inside cavity.

If you want the bed covered, go with the stretched trunk lid idea, otherwise if you could use a station wagon or nomad tailgate. Either way, use the inner walls and floor from a truck bed welded in the inside cavity.

I like the stretched trunk lid idea. I could cut the trunk lid in half slide the hinged half forward and leave the latch half where it is then use the roof panel that was cut off to fill the missing section, with some bracing of course. I have an old ski boat that i cant sell that has an really nice almost new interior. I thought about reusing the swivel seats in this car. The boat also has really nice upholstered side panels with teak trim that i might use to finish inside the trunk.

I think you'll want a different hinge system than stock. Like a tonneau cover with HD hinges and lift cylinders.

it kinda looks like the old funeral flower cars... Ill have to dig up some pictures...

none the less i say go for it

I think you'll want a different hinge system than stock. Like a tonneau cover with HD hinges and lift cylinders.

I am sure it will need lift cylinders or leave it open and use a bed insert as suggested earlier. The more ideas i have the better. I have a 62 Impala that i need to finish but it is a bolt together resto rod that my wife wants to drive. Not many upgrades except maybe old American mags with white walls to have a 60's look.

Good call CORPO - flower cars! Just do a search for that in Google images and ignore the real silly stuff. Plenty of ideas.

CORPO i just looked at the funeral flower cars and thought, if i can finish this nice i can get a part time job. Awesome

Another way this one would look cool is to remove the back doors and slide the body togther with no top. It would make a very cool two seat roadster/sportscar sort of creation. Olds had some showcars in that era that looked like that.

Wish I had photoshop capabilities.

Don

I have seen people do this with tri 5 Chevys and they look kinda funny. The only ones i have seen had a top which might be why they look odd.

This is the look i am going for. This guy started with a better looking car and looks like a 2 door originally but the same idea. This looks really good to me.

Attachments

• buick 2 seat.jpg
    buick 2 seat.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 8
  • buick two seat.jpg
    buick two seat.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back