57 oldsmobile questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theracedude

my coupe has a 57 olds 371 with the stock jetaway auto trans in it. i rebuilt the engine but the trans was only flushed out and put back on. now when i start it in park its fine but when i shift to the next gear down it kills the engine. if i go the the third or fourth gear down its fine and starts to drive. because i believe the trans is good( because it had a AAMCO sticker that looked to be newer) i think i may have something simple wrong. i thought it was the shifter but have changed all that. keep in mind that i dont know the shift pattern of PRND12 or PDRN12 . any help?

It sounds like you have a bad torque converter.Did you fill the converter when you installed the trans.Was this trans in a driving car when you got it?What was the trans flushed with?Need more info.

Jetaway

The Jetaway transmission you have is unlike any "modern" transmission out there (anything built after about 1965). The gear selector pattern is Park, Neutral, Drive 4, Drive3, LO, and Reverse at the bottom (PNDr4Dr3LR). There is no "Torque Converter" like a modern transmission; there are two Fluid Couplings, one of which is almost like a torque converter, the other of which empties and fills as part of its changing gear ratios.

Does the transmission have reverse at all? Try shifting it all the way to the gear farthest from Park - that should be Reverse. I've rebuilt these before, and so happens I have most of one for parts right now. Post here what happens.

440shorty

Latest posts

Back