'59 Chevy pickup - long chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a steering wheel from a '60s Chevy truck for it. Not much to really post about, but at least it is some sort of progress. Been too hot to work on anything lately ...

strgwheel_zpsd41be53d.jpg

How much would you want for this stuff? Hopefully we can coordinate and get it all to AZ somehow. Worth pursuing (and raising funds for!). I don't suppose there's a grille in there somewhere ... :)

I sold a front clip from a 58 GMC a few years back, to a guy on the east coast. He had me send them on Greyhound. He said it was the cheapest. I can't remember what it cost, or if I even knew.

Funny, I was just about to send you a PM to ask if you had any bits left!? 2 years too late. :D

I found a hood and a gas tank locally for $125, which is a step forward, but still no fenders. The guy is doing an S-10 350/350 conversion. Just need to go get those parts and be one step further on the road, or at least toward it. I'd still like to go with the single headlight setup. Sucks being poor, but it is what it is...

If you want the single headlight setup, be sure to get a 55 to 57 hood. The later hoods don't fit. I found out the hard way on that one.

If you want the single headlight setup, be sure to get a 55 to 57 hood. The later hoods don't fit. I found out the hard way on that one.

Oh man, I'm glad you said that. Thanks! Luckily this is off a '57. [cl

I've also been thinking more about putting the V6 into this truck and put the other one on hold for a bigger engine/trans combo since it has disc brakes. I caught the flu this last week, so between doses of Nyquill and sleep, been doing a lot of research and found out that the '85-'86 version of this engine has the same hp using a 4 barrel carb. I'd MUCH rather go that route and have just a few wires rather than all this plumbing and wiring loom running all over the place. It's just wrong!!!

There's a 235 straight six with a 3 spd for sale that would be close to what came in this truck originally. It is from a '59 Biscayne, pulled to put in a big block, runs and drives and would drop right in! The price is pretty irresistible since he just wants it gone. This truck already has the clutch pedal and I am really tempted to do that! But can I afford it??? Can I afford not to??? No. :D

Last edited:
Went and looked at this engine and trans last night and bought it, but still have to go pick it up. The guy's Biscayne is really coming along with a built 454, Muncie 4 spd, 9" rear end and Air Ride suspension, and some old mag wheels. Still doing body work and interior. He also has a '73 Caddy that is just super clean and neat! A driver, not a show car, which I totally approve of. Anyway, will go back and pick up the engine and trans and a bunch of other parts he is going to toss in on the deal. $200 !!! Couldn't pass it up. :)

Thanks e-man. I think it will be fun to drive despite the lack of "power" and modern technologies. Looking forward to getting back to the simplicity and the sounds and quirks of an old truck, and rekindling memories of cruising in my old '46 back in the day... :)

Picked up that engine and trans just now, and psyched to get it out of the Suburban and into the truck! Yes, two projects at once, and yes I should focus on just one, and yes I am a flighty baskerd, but man is it fun !!! I just gotta find out if it will drop right in and hook up the way I think it should. :) Still need brake lines, gas pedal, body pieces, gas tank, etc etc etc, but at least it is a step forward! :D

Buried, but not dead !!!

Wow, found this way back on page 8 or 9 of the listings, and read through the old news and my, how things have changed ... [S

I ended up selling the 235, and kinda stuffed this truck way back in the yard on hold, so to speak. That's it on the right over there between the tree and the shed you can't see... :)

P7190209_zpsc95a9b6e.jpg

After trying to focus on the '56 project truck (Hodge Podge) and hitting the wall, I ended up selling that body to pay bills. Sad to say, but that's the way things are around here. So then tried to focus on the Pontiac, but have become frustrated with engine and header clearance issues because of the HUGE steering box! :mad:

So I was wanderin' and ponderin' today and ended up walking over to this truck. I walked around to the front and a light bulb went off. Voila!! There it is! The place to put the 350/AT from the old dead Suburban! No fussing or fighting this one, it'll practically drop right in! The steering is all there, the brakes were just done, and I need to have me some good old driving-a-hot-rod fun !!!

So I'm thinkin' I should move things around tomorrow and beach the white whale (or is it a white elephant?) Poncho de la Rauncho and roll this truck into Work position. After all, it is a Chevy, and it was MADE for a Chevy engine! And the dually rear end I have will bolt right in ...

Maybe there's hope for me yet !!!?!!! :rolleyes:

Buried, but not dead !!!

Wow, found this way back on page 8 or 9 of the listings, and read through the old news and my, how things have changed ... [S

I ended up selling the 235, and kinda stuffed this truck way back in the yard on hold, so to speak. That's it on the right over there between the tree and the shed you can't see... :)

P7190209_zpsc95a9b6e.jpg

After trying to focus on the '56 project truck (Hodge Podge) and hitting the wall, I ended up selling that body to pay bills. Sad to say, but that's the way things are around here. So then tried to focus on the Pontiac, but have become frustrated with engine and header clearance issues because of the HUGE steering box! :mad:

So I was wanderin' and ponderin' today and ended up taking a look at this truck again. I walked around to the engine bay and a light bulb went off. Voila!! There it is! The place to put the 350/AT from the old dead Suburban! No fussing or fighting this one, it'll practically drop right in! After all, it is a Chevy, and it was MADE for a Chevy engine and the Chevy dually rear end I have will bolt right in ...

So I'm thinkin' I should move some things around tomorrow and beach the white whale (or is it a white elephant?) Poncho de la Rauncho and roll this truck into Work position.

-----> I need to have some hot rod drivin' fun !!! [dr

Maybe there's hope for me yet ?!?!? :rolleyes:

But...
You'll still have to build/buy all the mounts. Does it have a bed?
Have you ever run 1/2 ton drum brakes on the front, and 1 ton drum brakes on the rear, on a single hole master cylinder that was intended for 1/2 ton brakes? You might just end up sticking with the axle that's on there with the 3.90 ratio.

There's a guy in north Phoenix, selling a set of SBC block hugger headers on CL for $75.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/4905070676.html
Too bad there's not pictures.

Heck, for $80, you can get the same thing through Jegs, or eBay, but with gaskets, collectors, and hardware.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE316.1008/10002/-1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-SBC-350-1-5-8-Block-Hugger-Black-Exhaust-Headers-/181502241364

For $40 more, you can get them in chrome.
http://www.amazon.com/1955-UP-Chevy-Small-Hugger-Headers/dp/B0039PNV18

Then there's this thing:
They've been trying to sell this for a long time. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4908875137.html
Stick a trailer tail light on it, and go. At least you'd get good gas mileage.

Thanks for the info!

But...
You'll still have to build/buy all the mounts. Does it have a bed?
Have you ever run 1/2 ton drum brakes on the front, and 1 ton drum brakes on the rear, on a single hole master cylinder that was intended for 1/2 ton brakes? You might just end up sticking with the axle that's on there with the 3.90 ratio.

There's a guy in north Phoenix, selling a set of SBC block hugger headers on CL for $75.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/4905070676.html
Too bad there's not pictures.

Heck, for $80, you can get the same thing through Jegs, or eBay, but with gaskets, collectors, and hardware.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE316.1008/10002/-1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-SBC-350-1-5-8-Block-Hugger-Black-Exhaust-Headers-/181502241364

For $40 more, you can get them in chrome.
http://www.amazon.com/1955-UP-Chevy-Small-Hugger-Headers/dp/B0039PNV18

Then there's this thing:
They've been trying to sell this for a long time. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4908875137.html
Stick a trailer tail light on it, and go. At least you'd get good gas mileage.

There is no bed, but I know where one is, and no brake master yet either, so probably use the power unit from the 'Burb., or as you say, run it as is just to get it going! Will eventually go disc brakes, but first things first.

I posted a bunch of stuff for sale on CL, so maybe those hugger headers can be bought! I like the price, and as you say, get the whole kit for $80 and free shipping! Wonder why the ship date shows 3/25. Guess they make them as needed? I dig that Sturdybaker!!! And have a trailer tail light... but no money. Wonder how much of a cop attractant that left rear would be... Anybody want a 3/4 ton Suburban? :D

Sell the dually stuff and buy what you need for one of the other projects. Problem solved! [ddd

I'm obsessed with having a dually rat truck. I just think they look cool as heck! Also have that tow boom still, so will throw that all together, maybe with this truck or the IH or '48 Ford cabs I still have.. The guy I bought the rear end from said that he had problems selling it, so I only paid $40 for it. Cost more for the wheels and tires! Tires are junk, so replace those eventually. It all adds up faster than it comes in! :eek:

Here's my motivation: with the heat of summer coming on, when it is too hot to do much of anything, I think about which of these projects (4) would be the quickest and easiest to get on the road. It's probably a toss-up between the Pontiac and this truck. Right now I am leaning toward the truck as easier, facing less issues to at least get it running and driving. I could be wrong, and I could be totally out of my mind! ;)

Last edited:
PROGRESS !!! The engine is sitting in the cradle, bolted at the trans mount and sitting on a wood block. There's JUST enough room, but probably going to have to put the radiator somewhere other than in front. The overdrive trans is 3" longer than a regular TH350, so the engine ends up sitting farther forward. The good news is that the front engine mounts will be in a good place! It's not a restoration, it's a toy!

Also going dually rear end, and maybe just MAYBE a 5th wheel setup if that trade goes through. Otherwise it'll end up a wretched wrecked wrecker.

Latest posts

Back