6 banger identify

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebones

Hey guy's I put this engine in my ride .The story the guy gave me when I bought it was that he pulled it from a impala,don't know the year.Does anyone know what this engine might be or where the casting numbers might be

Attachments

• PICT0375.jpg
    PICT0375.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 30
  • PICT0376.jpg
    PICT0376.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0377.jpg
    PICT0377.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 32
  • PICT0378.jpg
    PICT0378.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 24
It's probably a 250 but can't really tell could bea 230. HEI were first used in 75 but can be installed on earlier engines. If it has an integral head and manifolds its a 75-84 (and a junk head). If it has a separate intake manifold from the head it's a 74 and earlier. Again heads can interchange. Mybest guess 74 or earlier.

Casting number is on the block to the left of the distributor. But 250 blocks from 63-84 can have the same casting number.
http://home.znet.com/c1937/Cast.htm

Hey guy's thanx for the info and links I found the casting numbers looked up the numbers and it is a 68-84 250 engine .It helps knowing what I'm working with!One other thing does anyone know what other car or engine that the thermostat housing would interchange with .I need to find a housing that is 180 degrees away from what I have .The housing exits to the driver side,I need to go straight up or to the driver side to go to my radiator

Latest posts

Back