6 volt starter 12 volt batt

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pops46

Has anyone used a 12 volt batt. to start a 6 volt engine?Will the starter burn up ? Does it need a 12 volt coil? I will change over to 12 later but for right now I just want to see if the engine will run. It's a 53 248 gmc in a 46 chevy with a floor starter and a gen. if that matters. Any advice would be appreciated.

It should work. We use to jump start a 1946 chevy truck with 12 volts every weekend for years and my dad converted all of his antique tractors to 12 volt and never changed any of the starters and they all work. If anything they turn over a little faster. you could use use a chrysler ballast resister to keep the coil from over heating if you are going to run it a lot on 12 volt.

It will work fine and crank really fast. I had a 57 Chevy gasser years ago and it had the Hilborn stack injectors, and it was hard to crank. We used to start it on 24volts. It had a Vertex mag in it so the voltage for the ignition did not matter. The starter lasted for ever.

Yes, it'll definitely work but don't burn it up by over cranking. Also, a 6v horn on a 12v system is one of my favs! :eek:

Beercan

Thank you guys for the input. That saves me from having to buy a 6 volt batt just to start the engine. I took the plugs out and they had some carbon on them. Turned the flywheel and it spun easy, but the carb linkages were stuck. After I rebuld the carb I will try to start it and let you know. Thanks again!

your points is not going to work 12 volts will cook them coil to Id say . go to a ford tractor company or a good parts house and get a 12 to a 6 volt reducer .. people use them all the time on the old 8-n and 9-n ford tractors , it will work just have to protect the points and condesor and coil .

all this little ceramic thing does is take in 12 and spits out 6 ,, wire it in ahead of the coil and your done oh yea , your generator take off the belt or it will be gone too , well you really need to unhook the gen or it will still cook it

I have done the partial 12 volt switch quite a bit in my life and I've never had a problem with the 6v starter. The starter turns over faster and goes forever. You should add a ballast resistor in front of the coil, if you're going to run your motor more than a few minutes. I haven't left a 6 volt generator wired up to 12 volts so I don't know what will happen, but I would undo it just in case.

I am going to try it tommorow, I got new plugs, 12 volt points and coil. I will let you guys know what happens!

Yeah about 4 turns and it fired right up! Smoked for a couple of minutes but ran. Thanks for you help all.... Now I will have to start a build thread.

Latest posts

Back