61 stude on CL...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
For some reason this thing has been haunting me. I have not gone and looked at it for fear it will crawl on the trailer and follow me home. So what do you guys think? am I a crack head with vehicle A.D.D. or should this be swooped up? Thanks. [P

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3153391612.html

I like it.

Paint: Code Black...

1286-11291729118-1.jpg

Wheels...

stevet.jpg

Drop the nose a little...

studeimages.jpg

And every Stude needs a McCulloch... or a Paxton... or a Whipple supercharger. [dr

Now, who's on crack? Seems reasonable to me. :D

I love those cars!! But I'm guessing the monte is a hack job, just a hunch. And the hard work is not done or it wouldn't be for sale. Look at how it sets, looks more like it's on a 4x4 frame. It's just that the work the guy did was hard for him. So you are buying a body, but it still might be worth it. Chisel him, tell him to keep the 350, that car deserves something a lot more interesting, like the packard/stude 352.

Looks like a nice setup to me! It will probably drop some in the front when the engine is installed, if not enough, you could also do shorter springs or dropped spindles. Wish I could find one of those at a decent price close to me, I missed out on a 53-54 a year or two ago.

To me, that looks like a heck of a waste of a good Hawk. If he still has the Studebaker frame and running gear, and the floor pans, and, and... I would leave all the Chevy stuff there as it isn't worth hauling home. A nice 289 and a blower, yes!

Dave.

Don't understand why these Studes weren't much more popular back in the day.
My friends '53 went down the road with almost no wind or road noise, just a whoosh going over the top.
Other cars of the fifties had a lot of noise. Studes looked awesome like something expensive from Europe.

Looks like a nice setup to me! It will probably drop some in the front when the engine is installed, if not enough, you could also do shorter springs or dropped spindles. Wish I could find one of those at a decent price close to me, I missed out on a 53-54 a year or two ago.

Yeah, the front might drop some but the rear won't and putting an engine in won't make the front tires move back to the center of the wheel opening. I still think the car is worth a look but I have never, ever seen a half done frame swap that wasn't a cobbled up mess.

Yeah, the front might drop some but the rear won't and putting an engine in won't make the front tires move back to the center of the wheel opening. I still think the car is worth a look but I have never, ever seen a half done frame swap that wasn't a cobbled up mess.

I agree. Look at it and see how bad the "hard work" really is.

From another angle, the wheelbase looks much better...

5Nf5L65Hb3E43G13M6c7l6ac492dccbf21c73.jpg

Yeah. looks a lot better there. All of those Montes sat about 2-3 inches too high in the front anyway so it might just need the springs whacked or some lower spindles. I had a friend with an 86 SS and I used to ask him if the hubs were turned in just to tease him. He only had it a couple months before he dropped the nose where chevy should have put it.

Well on the plus side I have build 4 of the GM G bodies over the years. Suspension set up is a breeze and parts are cheap. My thought process was to go down there with no more than $1800 in my pocket and bring the trailer. Either he goes for it or I go home empty. No worries either way. :D

I can't see very well but it looks to me like they have welded the body to the frame. And, the fins have had the seams filled over. This means that the quarters can't be R&R'd without breaking up those fiberglas fins because the bolts are under them. It might make a good parts car or a title donator, I guess I'm still just PO'd about them cutting up that car.

I used to have one of those, 61, white with red interior, 289, supercharger, automatic, PS, PB. It was a total when I bought it, the engine had #1 rod out, the transmission was trashed. Body was trashed. I spent months on that car restoring it. It was very fast. I sold it when I got married because we needed furniture. Now I wish we would have kept the car and went with the RTO stuff instead. Oh well, water under the bridge.

I need to stop reading this thread, it's depressing.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back